Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
USB Tethering two i...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

USB Tethering two identical android tablets.  

matmat077
Registered
(@matmat077)

I am using usb tethering to connect two identical android tablets to the primary server. As wifi is not reliable enough for me. I am having problems with the client software detecting primary machine. Most of the time, one of the android tablets will find the server and connects well without a problem, but the 2nd android tablet will not find primary server or connect by manually adding the ip address. Spacedesk server recognises the two tethered networks and the wifi network. I have checked for the latest versions, and been through all the troubleshooting section in your guide. Incidentally if I connect the second tablet by wifi it does connect. But I need the stability of the usb connection. Can you please look into this for me?It seems like the server isn't working properly with a second usb tethering. Can you please look into this for me?

Topic Tags
7 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @matmat077,

This is probably due to the network adapter priority of Windows.
Could you please try setting the metric value of the second Remote NDIS network adapter (USB tethering network) manually.
- Just run ncpa.cpl
- In there you will find the 2 Remote NDIS Network Adapter (USB tethering network). Just right-click the second one then click Properties, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> Advanced
- Uncheck the "Automatic metric" and set the value to any value(e.g. 3), then click OK to finish it.
- Then check on your second viewer app if it can discover now the primary machine.

matmat077
Registered
(@matmat077)

Thanks So much for your help Lea. After updating to the 0.9.72 version today and using your network settings it is working. I think this software is amazing and am very impressed. Well done Spacedesk. Excellent customer service. 

matmat077
Registered
(@matmat077)

Hi spacedesk support. 

I spoke to soon. I am having the same issue again where one of my identical android tablets will not find the server over usb tethering. Please can you look into this for me? It worked when I updated to 0.9.72 for a day, but now won't find server or connect by manually inputting the ip address. The windows machine shows both devices as connected in network settings. Many thanks 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @matmat077,
Did you try the previous steps I suggested?

Posted by: @spacedesklea

This is probably due to the network adapter priority of Windows.
Could you please try setting the metric value of the second Remote NDIS network adapter (USB tethering network) manually.
- Just run ncpa.cpl
- In there you will find the 2 Remote NDIS Network Adapter (USB tethering network). Just right-click the second one then click Properties, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> Advanced
- Uncheck the "Automatic metric" and set the value to any value(e.g. 3), then click OK to finish it.
- Then check on your second viewer app if it can discover now the primary machine.

matmat077
Registered
(@matmat077)

Hi Lea, 

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it. Sadly the second tablet is still not recognising the primary machine or connecting manually. I have followed your advice regarding the network adapter priority. I have foune out that the tablet I open spacedesk on first always connects and finds the primary machine. So I have had both working but not together. Please can you help? The spacedesk server recognises both ndis tablets in local interfaces. Many thanks for your time. Kindest regards Matthew 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @matmat077,
Could you please try the following:
Step 1. open spacedesk SERVER window by clicking the spacedesk tray icon in the task bar, then click the menu "..." button then select "Clear All Display Settings".

Step 2. run services.msc, find spacedeskService and restart it

By the way, do you have an updated spacedesk Android Viewer app?
Current version is v0.9.63.

matmat077
Registered
(@matmat077)

Hi Lea, 

Thanks very much for your help. It is now working reliably on my machine. If I clear the settings and restart the service, then adjust the network priority for both ndis adapters, the android tablets find the primary machine and do not lose connection at all over usb. I have to do this every time I reboot my pc but then working exactly how I wanted. Very pleased with the solution. Hopefully you can make this all automated in a later revision of the application. I am running the latest Windows software  0.9.72 and latest android software 0.9.63.

Thanks again for all your help and efficiently solving my problems. Spacedesk is great and I would definitely rate it as the best solution available. 

Kindest regards 

Matmat077

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum