Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
USB Tether connects...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

USB Tether connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects, to infinity and beyond  

IMJustHere4Answers
Registered
(@imjusthere4answers)

Primary - Win 10 64 bit, Nvidia GTX 1080 card, up to date drivers

Secondary - Nvidia Shield tablet, don't know much about it

I installed the app on the shield and the drivers on the PC.  I was able to connect using our wireless easily and that seemed to work.  But I want to use USB tethering.

I turned on USB Tethering on the tablet and plugged the USB cable in to the PC and a second address popped up in the app on the tablet.  I then turned wifi off on the tablet and restarted the app to make sure only one address was in the list.  I connected to the USB address and the app connected, sort of, but the screen was black.  Then it disconnected, reconnected, disconnected, etc.  The screen remained black the entire time and I was unable to interact with my primary PC screen.  The mouse would move but no scrolling and no clicking, then eventually it started minimizing apps on the PC.  I had to exit the app on the tablet.

I'd like to know how to get the USB tether to work.  Thanks.  

38 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
It seems like the  Nvidia graphics adapter has a TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) on your primary machine upon spacedesk connect.
Is your primary machine currently running Nvidia Shadow Play (screen record) while trying to connect your spacedesk viewer?
Is your viewer app set to auto-reconnect?
Once the TDR happens on primary machine, viewer should be disconnected, but if the auto-reconnect is enabled, then it will try to reconnect while spacedesk server on primary machine keeps on disconnecting it due to TDR.
Looking forward to your feedback.
IMJustHere4Answers
Registered
(@imjusthere4answers)

Shadow Play isn't running on the primary.

The app IS set to auto-reconnect.

What would cause it to timeout as soon as it connects?  Is there a setting on my PC to look for?  Thanks.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thanks for verifying.
For further analysis, could you please send us the following:
- run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click "Save All Information" then save the output file (dxdiag.txt)
- all spacedesk_log_xxxx.etl log files located in  C:\Users\Public\spacedesk_logs folder
Save all the requested files in one folder then right-click Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.
There should be and attach file option below the editor.
IMJustHere4Answers
Registered
(@imjusthere4answers)

Here you go.  The first time I ran the dxdiag it had an error 43 on the Spacedesk driver so I uninstalled and reinstalled it.  It's still not connecting via USB but I may need to connect via wireless first.  I haven't tried that yet.  Thanks!

IMJustHere4Answers
Registered
(@imjusthere4answers)

As an update, it would never connect via USB after reinstall so I turned the tablet's wifi back on.  It instantly found the computer but when I tried to connect it started doing the same behavior (connecting, staying a black screen, then disconnecting).

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thanks for sending the requested files.
Based on the dxdiag, our spacedesk Driver is crashing.
However, the spacedesk log files are all empty.
Could you please run "services.msc", find spacedeskService, restart it.
Try to reproduce again the disconnection issue, then check again the spacedesk log folders once it generates the log files with more than 8KB in size, please send it to us.

And if it's not too much to ask, please go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WDF, then save the (2-more) most recent WudfHost_ext__xxxx.dmp files to a folder then zip it and send it to us.
ProgramData folder is hidden by default, in case you cannot find it you should enable first the "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
Just open a File Explorer -> View -> Options, on Folder Options window click View tab then click the "Show hidden files, folders and drives" to enable it then apply the changes.

For further questions and/or discussions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
IMJustHere4Answers
Registered
(@imjusthere4answers)

That did generate some logs.  I went ahead and attached one that is 0 b but there are two more in there that hopefully will help.  I also grabbed the two WudHost files from today.  Thanks.  

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thanks for sending the requested files.
We will release a new version of the spacedesk Windows 10 driver within 1-3 weeks.
We will get back to you as soon as we released it.
Hopefully, this will fix the issue you encountered.
For further questions and/or discussions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
We have sent you a new spacedesk version for you to test.
Please check your email.
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @imjusthere4answers,
Could you please try our most recent spacedesk Driver version 0.9.23 which is now available in our website.
Then let us know if you still have the same problem.

montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

I have a similar experience.

Behaviour: Periodically, (sometimes as little as 40s, sometimes as long as 15) spacedesk effectively stops.  The display on my Android freezes and all windows from that display get moved to my other monitor.

When I hit 'back' on the Android I see "Display diconnected by client.  Disconnected successfully", although I suspect that is a function of hitting 'back'

The spacedesck.Service.exe process is not crashing.  In fact its memory usage remains stable across the disconnect.

I am running version 0.9.25

Desktop:

• Windows 10 64bit
  • 16GB

Tablet:

• Galaxy Tab A model SM-T350
  • Android v 7.1.1

I have the dxdiag.txt and all spacedesk_logs, although I do not see an option to upload them.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Attach file option should be available after first or second post.
Please check on your next reply if you can find now the attach file option below the editor.
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

That makes sense.  Thank you.  spacedesk_logs.zip attached.

montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

DxDiag.zip attached.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thank you for sending the requested files.
We are currently analyzing the logs.

Did you notice any error message on primary machine when it disconnects?
Is your network connection reliable/stable?

Is your spacedesk android viewer already updated?
Our most recent spacedesk android viewer app is v0.9.43.

Could you also please check if your Intel Graphics 530 driver is already updated.
Please try this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
If there's a new update on your Intel Graphics driver, please update it.

montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

> Did you notice any error message on primary machine when it disconnects?

No error message.  The only thing noticeable is a slight flicker, identical to what would happen when you disconnect a monitor.  The image on the tablet is then frozen.  If you didn't notice the flicker you wouldn't know that the screen had disconnected.

> Is your network connection reliable/stable?

Yes.  I run a remote desktop from this machine constantly. I have not seen any disconnects or latency

> Is your spacedesk android viewer already updated?
> Our most recent spacedesk android viewer app is v0.9.43.

Yes, I have v0.9.43.  I had just installed it from the app store the day before I posted this.

> Could you also please check if your Intel Graphics 530 driver is already updated.

Just checked now, everything is already up to date.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thank you for the feedback.
Is the disconnect issue reliably happening on your side?
Maybe the WiFi network connection on your android device is not stable?
Can you try other network connection type between you primary machine and android device e.g. WiFi Direct or USB tethering then check if you still have the disconnection issue.
Please refer to the performance tuning chapter in our user manual for WiFi Direct or USB tethering instructions.
Another thing you can try is to enable the auto-reconnect feature in you spacedesk android viewer settings.
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

> Is the disconnect issue reliably happening on your side?

Yes it was happening regularly.  Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes as many as 20

> Maybe the WiFi network connection on your android device is not stable?
> Can you try other network connection type between you primary machine and android device e.g. WiFi Direct or USB tethering then check if you still have the disconnection issue.

I have only been using USB Tethering, not wi-fi.  It is stable as I use another similar solution (Splashtop WiredXDisplay) that I was hoping to replace.  It has not shown any similar behaviour.

> Another thing you can try is to enable the auto-reconnect feature in you spacedesk android viewer settings.

I already have that enabled.  I would guess that the app does not detect a disconnect.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Is splashtop WiredXDisplay driver currently present on your primary machine?
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)

Eminent Member
Posted by: @spacedesklea
Is splashtop WiredXDisplay driver currently present on your primary machine?

No. I have to uninstall that driver to install this one.

IMJustHere4Answers
Registered
(@imjusthere4answers)

On the original issue I updated to the latest drivers on my PC then reconnected and it seems to be working now.  I'm working out some script files to test it out in Digital Combat Simulator using my tablet as a touch screen for flight controls and that may take me some time.  I'll post again if it's all still working once I get that done.

For more detail, after I updated the drivers on my PC I closed all the apps on my tablet which is plugged up to the PC via USB cable.  I turned off the wi-fi on the tablet, turned on USB tethering on the tablet, fired up the software on the tablet, chose the address of the PC from the software, it connected within a few seconds and has been stable although I haven't really used it for anything yet.

Also...sorry for taking so long to try the updated drivers.  I've been pretty busy with other things.  

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thank you very much for the feedback.
We are glad to know that it's working now with the latest driver.
Hopefully it will continue to work properly on your side.
In case problem still persist, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Looking forward to your next feedback.
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Could you please try the following on your primary machine:
- open spacedesk server window, click the menu button and select Clear All Display Settings
- run services.msc, find spacedeskService then restart it
- run devmgmt.msc, open to Display adapters -> spacedesk Graphics Adapter, right-click disable then enable it.
After the steps above, please try to connect again, then let us know the result.
If problem still persist, please send us again the new spacedesk etl log files in C:\Users\Public\spacedesk_logs folder.
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

Spacedesk had been uninstalled from my windows machine, so my revised steps are:

• Download & install latest (spacedesk_driver_Win_10_64_v0925_BETA.msi)
  • Run services.msc, find spacedeskService then restart it
  • Run devmgmt.msc, open to Display adapters -> spacedesk Graphics Adapter, right-click disable then enable it.
  • Run Client (v0.9.44)

I saw the same behaviour after a couple of minutes.  Android screen is frozen, all windows from that screen have been moved to my primary.

Noticing that I missed a step...

• Clear All Display Settings
  • Restart spacedeskService
  • Disable/Enable spacedesk Graphics Adapter
  • Run Client (v0.9.44)

No change.  Froze after < 1 minute

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thank you very much for sending the new spacedesk log files.

When the problem happens, could you please check if the "Remote NDIS Compatible Device" underneath Network adapters in device manager also disappeared. This is a Windows network driver for USB tethering connection.

montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

I don't see "Remote NDIS Compatible Device" at all.  Even when I restart and everything is working fine, it is not there.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
so it is working now with USB tethering connection?
but there's no Remote NDIS device on the device manager?
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

No, the display still freezes.  I am using USB tethering but I don't ever see Remote NDIS Compatible, even after reboot when the app is still working

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
thank you for your response.
Can you please try connecting via HTML5 viewer on your android device.
Just open a web browser (e.g. Google Chrome) the go to the spacedesk HTML5 viewer page then connect to the IP address of your primary machine.
Then let us know if it has the same problem.
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

The HTML5 viewer did connect.  The interface on the primary shows "Chrome on Android xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxx | Client:HTML5 | Desktop: attached (extend)"

However, the screen on my table remains black with nothing but the hamburger menu visible.

My Display settings show the 3rd monitor as connected right where it is supposed to be.  However "Identify" does not render the large "3" that should be there.

When I navigate my mouse it seems to go into where that screen is, but is not visible.

If I use a keystroke to move an application between monitors, the app does seem to move into that screen, though is invisible.

Using the HTML5 viewer menu, the app shows that it is also connected.

Reconnect in the viewer did not change anything.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
This is currently a known bug with the current spacedesk Driver.
This will be fixed on our next driver release.
In the meantime, could you please try the following workaround steps:
- download a new spacedesk service binary here 
- Unzip it, then you will file a new spacedeskService.exe for your 64-bit primary machine.
- On your primary machine, run services.msc, find spacedeskService then Stop it.
- Replace the current spacedeskService.exe on your C:\Windows\System32 with the new one.
- After you replace it, please restart again your spacedeskService on the services window.
Then let us know if this new spacedeskService fixes the black screen on your HTML5 viewer.
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

It did work at first.  This morning, after reconnecting, the screen is frozen, although not completely black.  I see the task bar and the time, which is frozen.

General feedback on the HTML viewer

• It is quite slow.  The mouse noticeably slows down and takes a second or 2 to catch up to its actual position
  • It does not stop the screen from locking.  I need to physically touch the tablet to keep it awake
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Thank you for the feedback.
If the screen is frozen then it is the same as black screen from before. It only displays the last desktop image saved in your browser's cache.
Could you please try to clear the spacedesk HTML5 data on your browser's history (cache, cookies, etc.) then try again.
Make sure that you are running the new spacedeskService.exe we sent to you previously.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @montgomerybc,
We just released a new spacedesk Driver version 0.9.41 on our website. https://spacedesk.net
This new driver version includes a potential fix for the unstable connection issue.
Please try it and let us know if the same problem still persist or if it's gone now.
montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

I use this setup at my office, so I will retest once the restrictions are lifted.  Thanks.

montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

No improvement.  In fact, it actually seems to fail quicker than it used to.  The app works for less than a minute and freezes.  I've tried both the Android app and the html5 viewer

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @montgomerybc,
Thanks for the feedback.
We will continue analyzing and trying to fix this issue. As soon as we have another potential fix for connection issue, we will let you know.
Meanwhile, please try our most recent release v0943 on our website.

montgomerybc
Registered
(@montgomerybc)
Eminent Member

v0943 is the version I tried above.  If you have any debug builds you want to try, I can that.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum