Unexpected kernel m...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Unexpected kernel mode trap  

Begand
Registered
(@begand)

I've been having this trouble lately. I connect my iPad to my PC with no problems and use it as normal. But when i change for the second or if I'm lucky the third time a window from screen to screen, I have the BSOD with the next error code: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.
My PC it's kind of new, I built it in april so i don't think it's a hardware problem, alas it's the only reason I've had the BSOD since then. Anyone knows how to fix this? I've reinstalled the spacedesk's drivers already and had like 2 or 3 Nvidia updates since my first screen. Thanks in advance.

Topic Tags
15 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @begand,
Can you tell us the following info:
Primary machine
- Operating system (Windows 8.1/10)?
- Graphics Adapter (AMD/Intel/Nvidia)?
- Network type (wired/wireless/wifi direct/usb tethering)?

Secondary machine
- Viewer type (Android/iOS/Windows/HTML5)?
- Network type (wired/wireless/wifi direct/usb tethering)?

For further analysis, could you please send us the following:
- run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click "Save All Information", then save the output file (dxdiag.txt).
- latest *.dmp file located in C:\Windows\minidump
Please save all requested files in one folder, then right-click -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

PS: Attach option should be visible on your side after your second post.

By the way, can you further describe what do you mean by this:

Posted by: @begand

But when i change for the second or if I'm lucky the third time a window from screen to screen

Begand
Registered
(@begand)

Operating system (Windows 8.1/10)? Windows 10
- Graphics Adapter (AMD/Intel/Nvidia)? Nvidia 1660 super
- Network type (wired/wireless/wifi direct/usb tethering)? Wifi
Viewer type (Android/iOS/Windows/HTML5)? iOS

"But when i change for the second or if I'm lucky the third time a window from screen to screen" by this i mean that when I hover a window to my secondary screen for the second time or third time, i get the BSOD. I can stay for as long as I want but if i change a window from screen to screen, the error happens.
As for the attachables I can't find where to upload it

Begand
Registered
(@begand)

I've been having this trouble lately. I connect my iPad to my PC with no problems and use it as normal. But when i change for the second or if I'm lucky the third time a window from screen to screen, I have the BSOD with the next error code: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.
My PC it's kind of new, I built it in april so i don't think it's a hardware problem, alas it's the only reason I've had the BSOD since then. Anyone knows how to fix this? I've reinstalled the spacedesk's drivers already and had like 2 or 3 Nvidia updates since my first screen. Thanks in advance.

PD I was asked to answer the following

- Graphics Adapter (AMD/Intel/Nvidia)? Nvidia 1660 super
Viewer type (Android/iOS/Windows/HTML5)? iOS

"But when i change for the second or if I'm lucky the third time a window from screen to screen" by this i mean that when I hover a window to my secondary screen for the second time or third time, i get the BSOD. I can stay for as long as I want but if i change a window from screen to screen, the error happens.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @begand,
Thanks for sending the requested files.
We are currently analyzing it.

It seems that the Nvidia driver is crashing.
The crash is somehow related to memory corruption based on the dump file.

Can you monitor the memory and cpu usage of your machine via task manager right before the crash if you can observe a high % usage.

Nvidia just recently released a new graphics driver on their website, can you also try to update your Nvidia graphics driver?
Are you also using the latest spacedesk Driver v0970? If not, please also update your spacedesk driver.

WHiZ
 WHiZ
Registered
(@whiz)

- Graphics Adapter (AMD/Intel/Nvidia)? Nvidia 1050 Ti
- Network type (wired/wireless/wifi direct/usb tethering)? wired
Viewer type (Android/iOS/Windows/HTML5)? Android

i keep getting this same BSOD UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, but it happens when i do win+shift+arrow key to send a window(seemingly usually maximized) to or from it..

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @whiz,
Did you install our most recent spacedesk Driver v0971?
Is your Nvidia 1050 Ti driver updated?

We are currently trying this issue on our side but so far we cannot reproduce it yet.
Does it happen to any kind of maximized window? Or are you sending a particular window to the spacedesk display?
For further analysis, could you please send us the following:
- run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click "Save all information" and save the output file(dxdiag.txt)
- most recent *.dmp file located in C:\Windows\Minidump folder

Please save all requested files in one folder, then right-click -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.
Looking forward to your feedback.

PS: Attach option should be visible on your side after your second post.

WHiZ
 WHiZ
Registered
(@whiz)

thank you for the quick reply, i was still on .70 i just updated now. Ill attach the files for you. It happened on multiple programs, but seemingly only when they were maximized and i sent them to the other screen. i had started making sure they werent maximized and would drag them over  then maximize them, when i did that i hadnt had any crashes. im not sure any of that is a cause for it or just correlation. 

WHiZ
 WHiZ
Registered
(@whiz)

also i should point out this is a fresh windows install, only about 2weeks old. also im running the chocolatey installer version of spacedesk(that shouldnt have an effect but i thought id include the info), ive included 2 dumps that happened right after one another incase there is extra diag info for you. thanks again!

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @whiz,

Thanks for sending the diagnostic files.
We are currently analyzing it.
For now, can you try to update your Nvidia graphics adapter?
You can download the latest driver from their official website https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx.
Then after Nvidia driver update, please reboot and try again with spacedesk.

By the way, is the videowall mode enabled?

WHiZ
 WHiZ
Registered
(@whiz)

Im not sure what videowall mode is, so whatever the default is i'd assume. I updated the nvidia driver, dragged a window over to the spacedesk android monitor and maximized it, then did win+shift+arrow to bring it back to my main monitor which worked fine, then did it to send it back to the spacedesk monitor again and i got the BSOD. So the problem still exists.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @whiz,

Thanks for quickly trying it.
We were able to reproduce the BSOD here on our side.
With our further analysis, it seems that this is a bug of Microsoft's Iddcx Driver model and Nvidia GPU.
Because BSOD is also happening using Microsoft's sample WDDM IddCx driver + NVIDIA GPU (no spacedesk installed).
We have already reached out to Microsoft and reported it. They are currently investigating it.
We will get back to you as soon as we have news regarding this issue.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @whiz,
We tested several older Nvidia driver and found the last working version (no BSOD).
If you like you can downgrade to this version - 446.14 release date: 2020.5.27.
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

WHiZ
 WHiZ
Registered
(@whiz)

thank you so much for this, it probably explains why i didnt have the issue till i reinstalled windows (and got new drivers). So is the issue with MS or Nvidia? I'll downgrade now.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @whiz,

It's a Nvidia issue and they are currently fixing it.
We will let you know as soon as they released a fix for this issue.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @begand,
Hi @whiz,

Nvidia just released a new version 461.09.
You can download it via GeForce experience or from their website https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx.
BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issue is now fixed on this latest version.
Please update your Nvidia driver together with the most recent spacedesk Driver v0.9.78.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum