Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Understanding general security risks  

aegross
Registered
(@aegross)

Greetings,

Have just started using SpaceDesk (primary machine Windows 10, 2nd screen on Mac).   My understanding is there is no thick client for the Mac and one must use the HTML 5 Viewer.  I see that the viewer does not have SSL but a request has been made.  To what extent does the information I am transmitting to my second machine go out to the internet or to datronics internal computing resources?

Thank you!

Regards,

aeg

Topic Tags
6 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
spacedesk native viewer app for Mac OS is not yet available. It is currently being implemented and will be available probably within this year.
Yes, our HTML5 Viewer page is still unsecure - no SSL yet. We are still working with that.
We can easily installed an SSL certificate in our HTML5 Viewer page, but there are changes we need to do on the server side as well in order to make a secured transmission of packets.
spacedesk connection between server and client does not go over the internet.
In fact, you can save the HTML5 Viewer web page locally and it will still work even without internet.
Just make sure both machines are connected on local area network.
aegross
Registered
(@aegross)

Lea,

Thanks very much for the reply.  Wonderful news.

Regards, 

AEG

aegross
Registered
(@aegross)

Hi again,

Have been trying to download the HTML 5 viewer but have not been able to do so.  Can you please advise how this should be done?

Thanks, 

AEG

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @aegross,
So you want to save the HTML5 Viewer page locally?
You can easily do that, just go the HTML5 Viewer page, right-click on the main page, click "Save as", make sure the Save as type is set to "Webpage, Complete(*.htm;*.html)", and save it in a folder.
After that, open the folder where you save it and you will see the spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER.html together with spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER_files folder that contains the web files.
Just run or open the spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER.html in a supported web browser (e.g. Google Chrome).

aegross
Registered
(@aegross)

Lea,

Having a  bit of an issue trying to get this done.  I tried option #2 below.  But after I run the page, I can't connect to my main PC.

Should I be

1) right-clicking on the HTML 5 Viewer button on <a href=" removed link "> removed link , or

2) Have the viewer already running on my second PC and connected to the main PC and right click on the second PC's brower, or

3) have the viewer started and be at the page where the IP address is entered

or something else?

Thanks,

AEG

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Please do the option 3.
Make sure to load the HTML5 Viewer page in unconnected state, then save the complete HTML5 page. Once you have the saved web files, you may now run the html page and then connect.
FYI: You will only need the internet once for loading the HTML5 Viewer page from the web, then once you have saved it, you can load the page and connect to the spacedesk server locally.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum