Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Surface Pro Pen?  

scott
Registered
(@scott)

I'm using my old surface pro 3 (Windows 10), as the secondary monitor to my desktop PC.

I had been hoping that I'd be able to make use of my surface pro pen on that 2nd screen - I can certainly see the "cursor" of the pen move across that screen - but pen output is registered.

Wanted to check should the Pen work, and is it something wrong at my end - or is that ability no supported.

Thanks

18 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @scott,
Are you using the spacedesk Windows Viewer app from Microsoft Store?
Currently, this viewer app already supports Pen input.
You can enable it in the settings.

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Same issue here. I can enable in settings, but it doesn't work. I can also certainly see the "cursor" of the pen move across that screen, but there is no other output. And pen and surface do very well wirhout spacedesk second screen...

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @percy007,
Is your primary machine Windows 10?
Are you using the most recent spacedesk Driver v0.9.87?
Could you please try our most recently released spacedesk Windows Viewer v0.0.21.0 app from Microsoft Store?

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi Lea,

1. Wndows 10 --> yes (pro on Desktop, home on tablet - no changes in both cases, without Windows releases (version 20H2) on both machines )

2. Driver v0.9.87 --> yes

3. Viewer v0.0.21.0 --> yes (from microsoft-app-store)

Additional infomation: Both (pen and surface 3) were working very well with spacedesk-releases, valid before 2021-01-01 (and the same hardware-configuration). So, I think, there must be an issue in the new sw-release.

Thanks for additional support.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @percy007,
Thanks for the input.

For further analysis, please download the spacedesk diagnostic script on your primary machine, then extract it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8h5llgi8c2ig3g/2021_spacedeskDiagnosticTool.zip?dl=0

Inside you will find spacedeskDiagnosticTool.cmd, just right-click it then run as administrator.
This script will start a debug view app to capture spacedesk debug traces.
On step 5 it will prompt you to reproduce the issue (by connecting the viewer app and try to send pen input for few times use any paint app or whiteboard app), make sure to do this before pressing any key to continue.
After the script is done, a folder will be created on the same folder as the script file which contains various log files that we need for analysis.
Please right-click it -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi Lea,

thanks for response. Enclosed you will find Dbgview.rar, you asked for. I#m looking for your reply.

Kind regards

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @percy007,
Thanks for sending, but unfortunately the rar file only contains the Dbgview.exe file, no various logs inside.

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi Lea,

sorry for that. You're right: It was the wrong attachment. Hope, the enclosed one is the right one now.

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi Lea,

sorry for that. You're right: It was the wrong attachment. Hope, the enclosed one is the right one now.

be9em0t
Registered
(@be9em0t)

Pen seems to work for me, but without pressure sensitivity. Is this the expected behavior?

-----------------

Win 10 Pro 20H2

Driver 0.9.87

Viewer: MS Store

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @percy007,

Thanks for sending the diagnostic logs.
We are currently analyzing it.
Aside from pen input, how about touch input? Did it work at least?

Posted by: @percy007

Additional infomation: Both (pen and surface 3) were working very well with spacedesk-releases, valid before 2021-01-01 (and the same hardware-configuration). So, I think, there must be an issue in the new sw-release.

Strange - since pen input before 2021 is not yet fully supported.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @be9em0t,
Pressure sensitivity is supported, if it's not working on your side then it's also an issue.
Are you also using Surface Pen?

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi @Lea,

thanks for information about diagnostics are in process.

Touch input is also not possible: Opening task-menu on spacedesk-viewer is not possible with touch input, but possible with mouse-action. Processing touch-input on whiteboard or on pptx-second-screen you can see, that touch input is in action (drawing trail is visible), but there is no output on the screen. Same with surface-pen-action (there you see a lot of rhombus, following the pen-trail, but no output). And again: Surface-pen on surface works very well without specedesk-viewer is connected, same as on spacedesk viewer till the end of 2020, before spacedesk-release-change.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @percy007,
Can you please try our most recent spacedesk Windows viewer v0.0.22.0 from the Windows Store?
Can you also update to most recent spacedesk Driver v0.9.93?

Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi @Lea,

thanks for infomation. I was operating the following actions:

1. Update spacedesk Driver up to v0.9.94 (v0.0.93 not on spacedesk web-page)

2. Update spacedesk Windows viewer up to v0.0.22.0

Nevertheless, the problem is not solved. Additional problems occured:

1. On touch-action the screen-page from host you can move by touch on the client-screen (to the rigt side, left and so on).

2. On pen-action the screen-page from host you can rotate on the client-screen, when you want to write aso (counter-clock-wise or reverse).

Compared with the sw-releases before there is a change - but not in the right direction.

What is your proposal?

Best regards,

percy007 

spacedesk Sergiu
(@spacedesk-sergiu)

Hello @Percy007,

Firstly thank you for your interest in our product, much appreciated!

Let me explain a bit how spacedesk Viewer works, and what you can do with it.

The spacedesk UWP application, after you connected, has two distinct modes of operation:

1. the View mode, in which you, as the user, are passive, meaning you can't interract with the server connected to (E.g. watching a movie etc)

2. the Remote Control mode, in which you can actively operate the server through available user input devices from your client machine.

Right after you connect to the server, the application goes into View mode. Here, apart from watching the server's screen, you can interact with the view (panning the screen view, rotating on different axis and zooming).

You can also access the command bar at the top of the viewer, by taping with one finger (or moving the mouse/pen cursor to the top of the viewer). Another touchscreen tap and you hide the menu again. Please note, that Pen has to be enabled first (either by settings or from this command bar (the button with the pen icon). 

This is all here really - and you, on problem described at 1. and 2., were only dragging and rotating the screen view either by touch (1 finger drag) and by pen drag.

You definitely want to get into the Remote Control mode, to operate the server from your client (tablet).

To enter the Remote Control mode, depending on your input, you have to:

a. tap with 3 fingers the screen, for touchscreen input

b. tap with your pen (bring the tip in contact with the surface and back), for pen

c. tap with the mouse/trackpad (mouse click), for mouse

After you confirm the dialog box, you are in Remote Control. You can exit any time the Remote Control with the same gesture like above. 

I hope these explanation clarified a bit how and what you can do with spacedesk Viewer. 

spacedesk Sergiu
(@spacedesk-sergiu)

For details, you can check the 0.0.22.0 release notes (I put it here for you):

Improved the touch-screen control especially for surface devices

User can manipulate the view of the target machine with the following touch gestures:
a. one finger drag - draging the image left-right and up-down
b. two finger pinch - zoom in and out
c. three finger drag - rotating around vertical axis and horizontal axis
d. four or five fingers rotate clockwise or anti-clockwise - roll the image around the center

User can access the view command bar at the top of the view window (after a connection was established) with a single finger touch-screen
tap. Another tap will turn the command menu off.

With a 3 finger touch-screen tap the user can take control of the target macine (remote control mode). Another 3 finger tap gesture
will stop the remote control session
Percy007
Registered
(@percy007)

Hi @Lea, @Sergiu,

thanks for explanation. Indeed, that is a big change against the software-releases, valid till the end of 2020. But it works fine. Great.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum