Spacedesk server no...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Spacedesk server not starting for me  

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

So, I installed spacedesk yesterday and it worked perfectly. Connection via wifi real stable and fast, almost no lag. 

Today, I cannot start the server. Isn't in the tray and I cannot launch from the windows menu too. tried reinstalling, nothing. 

Host is Windows 10 with mx150, client is Android phone with the latest version of the app. 

Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

19 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @gibus,
After you reinstall spacedesk Driver, did you see if the spacedesk server started?
Just run services.msc then find spacedeskService and check if the status is running.
For further analysis, could you please run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click "Save All Information" then attach the the output file (dxdiag.txt) on your next reply.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

Ok, I've done as you've said and here is my log. 

<a href=" removed link " target="true">Download the file

removed link

PS: thanks for the quick reply, really appriciated!

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @gibus,

there's an "attach file" option below the editor, please attach the requested file.

Posting a link is not allowed due to security reasons.
By the way, please also refer to the user manual, to verify if spacedesk setup/install was successful.

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

I don't have that option, or at least I can't find it. That is why I pasted the link. 

Also, yes, I did that debugging from the manual. (I prefer to figure it out myself first before asking for help)

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @gibus,
that's strange since the minimum number of post before you can attach a file is set to 1, so you should find the "Attach file" option below the editor.
Could you please, try to restart the spacedeskService in services window.
If restarting the service did not help, can you please try clicking the C:\Windows\system32\spacedeskServiceTray.exe.
Can you still connect a spacedesk viewer app even if you cannot open the spacedesk server window?
Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

Ok, nevermind, seems like the minimum is 3 posts? Now I have the ability to attach the file...

Well, here it is.

(thanks for being patient with me being a numbskull)

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

also, to answer your question, I did check the task manager and see the process running in the background, yet I cannot connect using my phone. 

I tried manually ending the process via the task manager, and nothing else happened, I still couldn't start the process.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @gibus,
thanks for sending the dxdiag.
Which process did you manually end? Is it the spacedeskServiceTray.exe or the spacedeskService.exe?
Did you already tried restarting the spacedeskService in services? Did you get an error upon restart?

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

this would be the only process related to spacedesk in the task manager that I would find, so this would be the process that I ended.

(seems like it re-appears after a hibernation cycle?)

About my PC usage. this is a school PC, meaning I frequently put my PC to sleep, and when needed, I hibernate it. I never shut down my PC due to me needing it on short notice constantly. 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @gibus,
Could you please try to run the spacedesk MSI installer and try to repair, after that, please send us the C:\Users\Public\spacedeskSetup.log file, just rename the extension name to *.txt

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

here is the file. 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @gibus,
thanks for sending the setup log files. It seems that the driver re-installs correctly.

Could you please try this work around.
- open a file explorer (just open any folder e.g. Documents or This PC, etc..)
- then open task manager, on the process tab find the Windows Explorer then right-click Restart
- after restarting the explorer, could you please run services.msc and also restart the spacedeskService
After the steps above, please check if you can open now the spacedesk SERVER window.

You also mentioned that you cannot connect, did you get any error code from your viewer app upon connection attempt?
Or does the viewer app cannot discover the primary machine?
Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

thanks for the help, it seems like spacedesk is working again for me. 

Posted by: @spacedesklea

did you get any error code from your viewer app upon connection attempt?
Or does the viewer app cannot discover the primary machine?

no, my phone was stuck on the connecting screen. when I input my IP it would just show a loading pop up, the one before you see the devices screen. 

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

turns out when spacedesk malfunctions, and I have no other option but to end the server via task manager, I have to reinstall? is this intentional?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @gibus,
When you say malfunctions, you mean you just cannot open the spacedesk SERVER window? Is that right?
Did you try my suggestion to restart the explorer and spacedeskService earlier?
Did it fix the problem?
Actually reinstall is not necessary. When it happens again, just run the services.msc, find spacedeskService and just restart it. Ending task of spacedeskService in task manager is not recommended because you cannot restart it there, just use the services window to stop/start the spacedeskService.

By the way, can you tell exactly when will it malfunction again?
Can you easily reproduce the problem?
We just want to reproduce it here on our side so we can fix it for good.
Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

I tried using services.msc and got this error:

Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

By the way, can you tell exactly when will it malfunction again?
Can you easily reproduce the problem?

Yes, it's a problem that I am constantly getting. I'm not sure what is causing it, but it seems like it happens after hibernating the computer, or just constantly putting it to sleep (for me I put the PC to sleep every 45 minutes or so)

I also usually have 2 users active at a time and frequently switch between them, if that even has an effect. 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @gibus,

Thank you very much for the info.
I think switching between users causes the spacedesk server window to malfunction.
We will try to reproduce it and fix it.
We will let you know as soon as we have a new version for you to try.

As for the error in services.msc, in the meantime if the problem happens again, you can end task the spacedeskService in task manager, then you can start it on services.msc so you don't have to reinstall it.
Gibus
Registered
(@gibus)

As for the error in services.msc, in the meantime if the problem happens again, you can end task the spacedeskService in task manager, then you can start it on services.msc so you don't have to reinstall it.

Thank you for the tips, loving the software, it really helps my schoolwork with multitasking. 
If any other issues arise, I will be sure to notify you about the issue here on the forums. 

About the multiple users, I've switched users multiple times and spacedesk continued to work, as I never have my phone connected when I switch users. This is why I doubt it has an effect. 

Still, I'll see if I can get more information regarding the malfunction to assist you with fixing the issue. 

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum