Spacedesk server dr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Spacedesk server driver incompatibility with certain laptop's TouchPad driver  

jeremy
Registered
(@jeremy)

This isn't a question but rather a reporting of a potential driver conflict and a temporary workaround:

Main issue: the spacedesk server driver can interfere with laotop touch pad.

Laptop in question: Lenovo Leigon Y740 laptop running Windows 10.

The following steps can reproduce this issue nearly 100%:

1. Fresh install of spacedesk server (without prior installation, this is very important), everything works, compute can connect, touch pad works.

2. put computer to sleep (either manually put it to sleep or automatically letting it timeout)

3. upon wake up from sleep, the touchpad no longer works.

4. go to device manager, under "Human Interface Device", the "I2C HID Device" has a yellow icon with error message: I2C HID device cannot start (code 10)

5. Sometimes, disable, and re-enable the "I2C HID Device" can revive the touch pad, often times, it requires a restart of PC.

Further investigation: 

1. Uninstall spacedesk server from the laptop.

2. Problem with I2C HID device cannot start (code 10) goes away upon wake up from sleep.

3. reinstall spacedesk server again, touchpad problem comes back.

4. repeat step 1 to 3 a few times, eventually, the touchpad can no longer be fixed even with spacedesk server uninstalled.

5. at this point, the spacedesk client can longer detect spacedesk server.

6. the only solution i have found so far is for the above is, uninstall spacedesk server, go to device manager, enable "show hidden driver", and uninstall all hidden drivers under "Mice and other pointing devices", "Keyboards", and "Human Interface Devices", 

7. and finally restart the computer, this will bring back the touchpad functionality. 

Topic Tags
6 Replies
spacedesk Marcel
(@marcelruedinger)
Estimable Member

Thank you very much for the precise analysis. We had one similar report like this before (albeit not as precise as this one) and we released a potential fix. 
Can you please check if this issue is already fixed in the current version Beta III v0.9.54 on the spacedesk download page?
If this issue is still happening with v0.9.54 please let us know. Then we have to dig deeper and possibly get back to you for more details.

jeremy
Registered
(@jeremy)

Hi Marcel, 

I installed Beta III 0.9.54 server on the primary computer. The touchpad is so far working, however, the client computer is still not able to detect any Primary Machine, (even after rebooting of both computers)

The monitor(client, or viewer) computer has the same BETA 0.9.22 as before. 

Both PCs are on the same network as before, and both network profiles are set to Private.

I checked the firewall settings:

* On the primary computer, under Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced security, i can see "spacedeskService" under "Inbound Rules". It is set to: Enabled Yes, Acton Allow, Protocol Any, Remote Address Any, etc, any to all other settings.

There is no "spacedesk" found under "Outbound Rules" on the primary computer.

* On the client computer, there is no "spacedesk" found under neither "Inbound Rules" nor "Outbound Rules"

To prove the local network is working:

* I can ping both computers.

* I can also access the other computer's share folder.

As a last resort, I also tried disabling firewalls on both computers on the private network, the client PC is still not able to detect the Primary Machine with firewalls off on both PCs.

jeremy
Registered
(@jeremy)

So I uninstalled "spacedesk server BETA III 0.9.54" yesterday (touchpad was still working), and put the computer to sleep. Today, I woke up the PC, the touchpad no longer works. I tried the workaround by removing all the hidden drivers under HID, keyboard, mouse, still no luck.

(This happened to me last week, at first i thought it was hardware, but after some power cycling, touchpad recovered). 

I believe if I leave the PC along for a day or two, touchpad would eventually recover.

Anyhow, prior to installing spacedesk, and while touchpad was still working, I ran a command "driverquery /V" to capture all running drivers. 

Today, I did it again to capture all the drivers after spacedesk was uninstalled, and touchpad isn't working, comparing the two files, I noticed the following difference:

While touchpad was working:

EhStorClass stopped

hidi2c running

MRxDAV running

mshidkmdf running

MTConfig running

USBSTOR stopped

While touchpad isn't working:

EhStorClass running

hidi2c stopped

MRxDAV stopped

mshidkmdf stopped

MTConfig stopped

USBSTOR running

Attached are txt files of both driver snapshots. 

jeremy
Registered
(@jeremy)

It only allows me to attach one file at a time, so here's the driver snapshot while touchpad isn't working (with spacedesk uninistalled)

spacedesk Marcel
(@marcelruedinger)
Estimable Member

Windows 10 has an option "Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected".
It can be found underneath Settings, Devices, Touchpad.
Can you please try if this makes your touchpad work again? 

jeremy
Registered
(@jeremy)

Problem is the PC isn't able to detect Touchpad. 

If I go to device manager, the I2C HID Devices is showing as device cannot start (code 10).

This time I thought may be I needed to reinstall windows, so I plugged in the windows install USB drive, and upon booting in the windows installer, voila, the touch pad started working. I rebooted PC without reinstalling windows, and the touchpad continued to work.

It's a very strange problem, I think may be there's some software switch that can turn on/off the I2C HID devices, and this software switch has some compatibility or bug issue with spacedesk driver, once this bug gets triggered, this software switch will latch on even after the spacedesk is removed. However, the software switch can somehow resets itself by some other mechanism, e.g. booting the system with a brand new sets of driver like a windows installer or linux mint. 

Anyhow, I am not going to debug any further. I'll just have to live with a single monitor until I get a different PC. Thank you for looking into this issue anyways. 

Best,

Jeremy

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum