Server software jus...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Server software just quits  

clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

I was THRILLED to find this software.  I had seen old messages about a product called MaxiVista, and then was disappointed to find that it's no longer around.  So again, absolutely thrilled when I came across this software.

When it works, it works great!  I have both the server and client set up and they work in general.  I can connect and I extend my primary computer's display to the other computer, and it works great for a short while, but after being connected for anywhere from a few minutes to 20 or 30 minutes (20 to 30 is about the longest it has ever stayed working), the server software just quits.  No errors or anything, it just quits.

Both computers are Windows 10, 64-bit

Primary computer has an Intel GPU, and is using a wireless network connection.

Secondary computer has an nVidia GPU and a hard-wired network connection.

But both PCs are still on the same network.

12 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @clhug,
Are you using the latest spacedesk Driver (v0.9.34) and Viewer(0.9.22) app?
For further analysis, could you please run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click "Save All Information" save the output file (dxdiag.txt) then attach it on your next reply.
clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

Yes, I have the newest version of both the driver and viewer.

I can't figure out how to attach a file.  Can you please tell me how?  Otherwise I can copy & paste the output into a post.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @clhug,

So when the "server quits" the viewer still displaying the desktop screen as if it's still connected but not updating anymore? Is that correct?

Attach file option will be available after your first or second post.
It should be visible now below the text editor.

clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

Dxdiag.txt is attached.

To answer your question, one of 2 things happens.  I have not identified a pattern as to why one or the other happens.

1. As you said, the Viewer still displays the desktop screen but stops updating.

OR

2. The Viewer disconnects and stops displaying the desktop screen entirely.  (But when I look at my primary PC, the server software has quit.)

I would say that #2 happens more often than #1, but I do see #1 happen sometimes.

I am able to start the server software back up on the primary PC, reconnect, and it works great again, until it dies again.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @clhug,
Thanks for sending your dxdiag info.
Does the spacedeskService stopped running when you said the "server quits"?
You can check it by running "services.msc", find spacedeskService and check the status after the issue happened.
Or does it continue to run after being disconnected and the spacedesk tray icon is still visible and able to reconnect immediately?
Did you notice if the spacedesk tray icon shows ERROR status (with yellow exclamation mark) upon disconnect?
clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

I will have to check these things out next chance I get.  The only thing I noticed at the time is that I had the Driver software up showing a dialog box on my primary PC screen and there was an icon for it in my Taskbar (the Taskbar specifically, I don't know if there was also an icon in the system tray, I didn't look).

When it "quits", the window that was open on the Desktop goes away and the Taskbar icon goes away.

To start it back up, I find it in the Start Menu and click the shortcut there and it starts back up.

I will try it again as soon as I can to verify whether the service stops, and what happens with the system tray icon.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @clhug,
Thanks!
If it's not too much to ask, can you also take a screenshot of the message in that dialog box.
Looking forward to your feedback.

clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

Well, I've tried a couple of times now to reproduce this, and it's been rock solid.  So I'll have to keep trying and report back if I'm able to reproduce.  I expect to need to use it heavily this coming weekend so that will be a good test.

clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

(I'm posting this reply in 3 parts because after I wrote it and tried to post, it said the text had to be fewer than 2000 characters, and 2 posts was easier than trying to edit my text.)

Post 1 of 3...

I used it heavily this weekend.  I did have issues, but not quite as bad as I seemed to have the first time.  The first time it seemed like it would never stay working more than 5 or 10 minutes.  This time it quit several times but it would stay connected for longer.  I had a few times still of only 5 or 10 minutes, but I also had 2 or 3 times of up to about an hour.  (I used it for 6 hours straight.)

Though now, after reading your earlier replies and looking at it closer this time, it doesn't actually "quit".  It seems like it more just "disconnects."

When I first used it 2 weeks ago, I didn't realize that there was a system tray icon for it on the server side.  (Windows hides most system tray icons by default so I didn't see it, and I didn't know that there was one to look for.)  So not seeing the system tray icon, the only symptom I had was that the task bar icon disappeared.  I thought that meant the software was "crashing" and completely existing.

So this time, I made sure to look for the system tray icon and now I see it.  So now I have a better understanding of what's happening, which I 'll describe in the next post....

clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

… Post 2 of 3...

So, now knowing to look for the system tray icon on the server PC, this is what I observe happening when it "quits"...

On the server side, again as I described, the task bar icon disappears.  BUT the system tray icon does NOT disappear.  I can then click on the system tray icon and bring back up the spacedesk server window, and the task bar icon reappears.  Oh, also when it "quits", on the server side, the windows I had displayed on the 2nd screen via the viewer snap back to the server PC's own screen.  So it's definitely NOT fully "crashing" like I originally thought.

On the viewer side, I see one of two symptoms.  Both symptoms happen at different times, sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other.

1. As you described earlier, the viewer PC still displays the screen from the server PC, but it's frozen and no longer updates.  I have to use the keyboard on the viewer PC to manually disconnect the viewer software, then I can reconnect the viewer to the server and it works again.  (Though even in this case, as with # 2, and as I described above for the server PC, the application windows that I had on the 2nd/viewer screen snap back to the server PC's own screen.  So the server itself knows that I has lost connection.)

or

2. The viewer PC will stop displaying the server PC and display a message that it was disconnected.  Though again, I can use the keyboard for the viewer PC to reconnect right away and get it working again.

Again, both symptoms happen at different times.

So now what I'm thinking is that maybe … (to post 3...)

clhug
Registered
(@clhug)

… Post 3 of 3...

So now that I understand it better I guess it could just be a network hiccup causing them to disconnect.  Though I don't know why.   I have lots of things on my network and don't have any issues with anything else.  As I mentioned in my original post, my server PC has a wifi network connection while my viewer PC uses a wired Ethernet connection.  Next time I use it (which I think will be next weekend), I plan to try to run a wired Ethernet cable to my server PC too just for testing and see if I still have the "quitting" issues.

If you do have any other ideas for me to look at regarding what I've described now, let me know.  Otherwise, I will post back again next week after I use it the next time this next weekend.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @clhug,
Yes, I also think it's a network hiccup, since your server is connected on wireless.
Wired connection is preferred over wireless for stable spacedesk operation.
Actually, you might also try a cross over ethernet connection between your primary and secondary machine, it is a direct wired connection and does not go over the router.
Please check this link https://www.techperiod.com/connect-windows-computers-in-lan/ on how to setup or you can also search other basic procedure on the web.
Looking forward to your next feedback.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum