Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
Server screen is mo...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Server screen is mouse, client tablet is touchscreen.. will it work?  

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

I am trying to setup two Windows10 computers to use space desk.  The server display uses a traditional mouse-driven monitor (tv), and the client is a tablet with touch screen only (no mouse/touchpad attached).

I cannot get the client tablet touch screen to respond to touch clicks in the application/data part of the window.  Only the windows TItke bar and window menu objects accept touch presses.   If I drag the server mouse cursor across from the server over to the client data part of the window, I can click with the mouse and enter/select data.  

The Functionality menu on the client shows a small asterisk under the Mouse and touch options, and I cannot change (check mark) these options.  Does this mean these options are locked on or off?   Does the client inherit the screen oroperties of the server automatically?

My basic question... Is there a way to enable the client app/data window to accept finger touch as it does for the window title and menu?  Is the an unwritten law that the server screen mode must match the client screen mode, otherwise space desk will not work? 

I appreciate any advice.

22 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,

Posted by: @flydog23

I am trying to setup two Windows10 computers to use space desk

Does one of your Windows 10 the secondary machine?

the client is a tablet with touch screen only (no mouse/touchpad attached).

Is this Android or Windows 10 tablet?

Which functionality is currently enabled in your viewer app?

The Functionality menu on the client shows a small asterisk under the Mouse and touch options, and I cannot change (check mark) these options.  Does this mean these options are locked on or off?   Does the client inherit the screen oroperties of the server automatically?

Are you referring to the Functionality -> Mouse local (use as touch)?
If the viewer app is already connected then these functionality options will be grayed out.
Just disconnect the viewer then you can set/enable the functionality options.

As for your last question - Yes, spacedesk already supports touchscreen input.

Maybe you can also try the spacedesk Windows Viewer app from Microsoft Store, it is currently the improved version of Windows Viewer app.

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

Both computers are Windows 10.  I will try to change the client options when the client is not connected to the server.  Thanks for explaining about the grayed out asterisks.  

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

I installed the Microsoft Store App for windows, Beta v.0.0.19 (2021).  The options are designed differently than before, so I assume this is the latest version.  In the options, I have reset all the defaults, with the exception of these (I assume remote means client):

remote:  Mouse output as:  Mouse. (Default)

remote:  Touch output as:  Mouse. (NOT default)

in any case, the client does not respond to touch,  only mouse clicks work.   I tried different combinations, with no luck.

Any ideas of what to try next?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog,
Did you try mouse output as touch and touch output as touch (default)?

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

It is set to:

Mouse output as: Emulated Touch

Touch output as: Touch

(Result: Touch still not working)

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
Thanks for the info.
Then please try this one:
Mouse output as: disabled
Touch output as: Touch

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

No, touch still not working.

I also downloaded the IOS client from Apple Store and put it on a different client (IPad).   I tried to do the same touch test using the same Windows 10 Server.  It didn’t recognize touch on the IOS client either.  FYI, I am using the Windows “Calculator” app as the test application on the Server.  I don’t know, maybe the Calculator app doesn’t work this way? 
It seem funny that both clients, two different programs on two different operating systems both fail.  Would this seem to indicate the problem is somewhere centralized on the Server?  Or BOTH Clients?  Very strange.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
Is spacedesk videowall mode enabled on your primary machine?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
If videowall mode is enabled, then absolute touch will not work.

Could you also please try the most recent spacedesk Driver v0984 form our website - https://spacedesk.net/.

If the issue still persist, please download the spacedesk diagnostic script here, then extract it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilm5em35h0ygsfm/2020_spacedeskDiagnosticTool.zip?dl=0

Inside you will find spacedeskDiagnosticTool.cmd, just right-click it then run as administrator.
This script will start a debug view app to capture spacedesk debug traces.
On step 5 it will prompt you to reproduce the issue (by connecting the viewer app and reproduce the the touch issue), make sure to do this before pressing any key to continue.
After the script is done, a folder will be created on the same folder as the script file which contains various log files that we need for analysis.
Please right-click it -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

I upgraded the Windows 10 Server to v0984.  I ran the diagnostic tool and zip file is attached.  Still NO touch on client

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
Thanks for sending the diagnostic logs.

Based on the logs, the traces seems to have videowall mode enabled.

If videowall mode is enabled, then absolute touch will not work - you have to switch it OFF on videowall engine window.

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

I checked the status of the video wall engine page, immediately after downloading and installing the latest beta 84 version.  The switch was defaulted to OFF (NOT green) position.  Furthermore, in that version and prior version, I manually positioned the switch to the non-green position.  How can I verify if video wall is really disabled?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
If it's switched OFF in the Videowall Engine window, then that's enough confirmation that the videowall mode is disabled.
Currently we are still investigating this issue as we still cannot reproduce it on our side.

Can you also check with other viewer app aside from Windows, e.g. Android or iOS if the touch issue is also happening?

With our current spacedesk version, our touch screen feature should work as an actual touchscreen and not as mouse input.
As you mentioned you can see a circle upon touch, that's one of the confirmation that the server receives a touch input.
Can you try to move a scrollable window (e.g. web browser) on your secondary display then try scroll via touch (touch + drag upward/downward) if it will scroll down/up?

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

I tried using the IOS client, with same results as Windows version.  I’ll have to double check on the drag resizing point, when my computer is up and running.  The only place where touch worked was on the spacedesk client windows properties (title and menu bar only), but not within the data window.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,

The only place where touch worked was on the spacedesk client

Yes, this is expected.

data window.

What kind of data window? like text file inside a window? 

Tapping a file inside a window (e.g. text file) to open it should work (though will be opened in the main monitor so you have to drag it to client screen). Resizing the window should also work.

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

I can do those things, but only with the mouse.  The only area which responds to touch is the “spacedesk VIEWER” window envelope itself, not in the app area side.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
Thanks for the input.
Looks like we were able to reproduce the same issue on our side using a Windows simulator (with basic touch mode).
We have the same observation when trying the touch input using the UWP Windows viewer app though it works using the desktop version of Windows Viewer app 0.9.30.
Can you quickly check on your side using the Windows Viewer 0.9.30 (desktop version)?
Just enable the Functionality -> Touchscreen (absolute).

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

Yes, Viewer v0.9.30 works with Touch (absolute) mode.  Could you clarify what the UWP Viewer app is, versus the desktop 32-bit version?  Just curious.  What does UWP stand for?

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

However, not all my user apps will work with touch.  I’m wondering if this is because the client app is Windows 7?  The app I am trying to use, ultimately, is Windows 10 based.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,
Thanks for verifying with v0930 Viewer app.

However, not all my user apps will work with touch.

What do you mean by this?

UWP stands for Universal Windows Platform.

Before our Windows Viewer app is only the desktop version which is working on both Windows 7/8.1 and 10 platforms.
We moved to Universal Windows Platform so we can publish the viewer app in Microsoft Store in preparation for the Pro (pay) version release (which is very soon).

Because UWP viewer app is not supported in Windows 7 platform, we still keep our old Windows Viewer (desktop version) and renamed it to "Windows 7 Viewer" (v0.9.30) but can still run on Windows 10 machine.

flydog23
Registered
(@flydog23)
Eminent Member

What I meant was:  the windows app (flight) that I hoped to use on my secondary device (tablet) still does not respond to screen touch, although mouse clicks work on both the server and client locations.  
For testing purposes, I was using Windows Calculator to determine if touch worked.  With Viewer Version 0.9.30, touch does work on my tablet, but not my flight application.  The flight application is new to 2020, and is fair to say it is still in active development, so there could be reasons why touch does not work.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @flydog23,

Ahh - yes. I read from some users that touch is not yet supported on the some flight app (particularly MSFS).

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum