Facebook Like Button

FYI: This old forum site will not be updated anymore. To post a new topic, please click here to register to our new spacedesk Forum site.
Play Now Stuttering...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Play Now Stuttering, How do Debug?  

spacedeskchecksumerror
Registered
(@spacedeskchecksumerror)

Host: Windows 10 21H1 (19043.1081), App Version 1.0.3, Nivida Drivers, 461.92
Guest: Android 6, App Version v0.9.71 (Custom Resolution 1280 x 720) HTC M8
Connected via Ethernet to Router, Wireless to device

Long time spacedesk user, Which would be happy to pay for this software, even though just use it as a music playback screen (youtube).

I recently updated my computer, cloned the disk, blah... everything was working fine.

I bought one of those cheap USB to HDMI adpaters... pile of rubbish.. I uninstalled it, but space desk was reporting "Incompatible Display Hook Driver Detected", all good followed the advise on here to located the bad driver, and deleted it.

I added the old graphics card back in (was trying to save PCI Lanes, and power, what ever). Its worth nothing this config was all running before, just on older harder (CPU, RAM, Mobo), and spacedesk was working before the stupid USB to HDMI driver was installed.

However I now get "stutter" or "judder" on spacedesk, its like it steps back 2 or 3 frames and then jumps forward again..

Where to start debugging please?

I can post a video if you like...

9 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @spacedeskchecksumerror,
Can you please try to update to latest Nvidia driver?
You can download the latest driver from their website
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx.

After the update, and if you still have the same issue then maybe you can send us a short video of the issue.

spacedeskchecksumerror
Registered

Thank you for your response.

I updated the Nvidia Driver to 471.11

I have tested in different browsers and on different phones.

I have turned off all my extensions.

I am still getting the issue.

removed link

The video shows me starting a play on my desktop, connected to my main graphics card 970GTX. To show my machine can play it. I then stop it and move it to the spacedesk display on the HTC M8. Rewind, you can see the car stutter, and then the person movements as well. I then drag the window while playing back to the main desktop to show that it will play ok on the desktop when transitioning.

I should mention, this was all working. One strange thing I guess on my machine, is that I have the second graphics card (730GT), however this was working on my intel based machine. This is my new AMD machine. It was also working fine on AMD (with one graphics card) until I tried to be clever with that HDMI to DVI adapter. To the best of my knowledge, I have disabled all those drivers and uninstalled them.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the feedback.
By the way, link is not allowed to post due to security issue.

To further analyze this issue, please download the spacedesk diagnostic script here, then extract it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8h5llgi8c2ig3g/2021_spacedeskDiagnosticTool.zip?dl=0

Inside you will find spacedeskDiagnosticTool.cmd, just right-click it then run as administrator.
This script will start a debug view app to capture spacedesk debug traces.
On step 5 it will prompt you to reproduce the issue (by connecting the viewer app and play the video on spacedesk display), make sure to do this before pressing any key to continue.
After the script is done, a folder will be created on the same folder as the script file which contains various log files that we need for analysis.
Please right-click it -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

spacedeskchecksumerror
Registered

Thank you for your reply, Sorry about the link, I don't know how I missed the attachment function completely! Please let me know if you do require me to compress and upload the video.

Please find attached the requested debug log.

I can preform again if you like while recording a video if that will help.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for sending your diagnostic logs.
Based on the driver logs, it seems that spacedesk Driver is using your second GPU (Nvidia GT730).
Can you try to disable this graphics adapter on your device manager, reboot then try again with spacedesk?

spacedeskchecksumerror
Registered

So you are 100% correct.

I disabled the GT730 in device manage (that was painful, the computer slowed right down until the reboot was complete).

Started up space desk and playback was fine, no stutter at all. GPU usage was between 3% to 6% on the GTX970.

I enabled the GT730, and playback instantly switched to the new GPU (GPU 1), and started to stutter with a GPU usage about 17%.

They are sharing the same driver, but I did notice the GT730 is displaying its own graph in task manager performance side panel, where as the GTX970 doesn't. I have no idea if this is important or not, but I have attached the image, just encase.

Is there anyway I change or choose the graphics card which spacedesk is linked with?

Thank you

Shaun

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Current spacedesk does not have a feature where you can select which graphics adapter to use.
It will always use the default primary GPU on a primary machine.

Suggestion:  If you don't plan to use GT730 anytime soon, maybe you can downgrade it to Microsoft Basic Display, so spacedesk will not use it by default.
On your device manager, just right-click the Nvidia GT730 display device -> Update driver -> Browse my computer for drivers -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer , select "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", click Next to proceed until the end.

spacedeskchecksumerror
Registered

This isn't workable, that driver locks the resolution at 1024 x 768, This graphics card still have a screen attached

I have been into the BIOS and set the GT970 at Gen 3 PCI, rather than Gen 4 PCI, and this made no difference

Are you able to explain what is the "primary GPU", how is this detected, what system call are you using?

I am going to write to my Motherboard manufacture, as I think BIOS uses the GT730 first as well. To see what they have as an option.

I would like to continue exploring this with you, but understand if you can't. The annoying thing is, this used to work fine, on my old intel setup.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

From my understanding, it's the Windows that decides which primary GPU / default graphics adapter driver to use. Usually this is where your primary display/monitor is plugged.

Does the monitor attached to your GT730 is your primary display?

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum