Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
Low 2nd Screen Refr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Low 2nd Screen Refresh Rate? (is 120Hz, playing at 30Hz)  

GustSergeant
Registered
(@gustsergeant)

Hello,

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9 as a secondary screen, tethered via USB. I know for a fact my screen refresh rate is 120Hz, yet when I look under Advanced Display Settings, it says its playing at 30Hz. and it looks like it too.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and if I can do anything to resolve it?

4 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @gustsergeant,
Current spacedesk is hardcoded to support 60Hz only, it cannot be changed or adapt to secondary device's refresh rate.
spacedesk display should at least show 60Hz refresh rate in the display settings.

Can you please send us the screenshot of your advanced display settings that shows 30Hz on the spacedesk display?
Can you also check on your android viewer app Settings -> Quality/Performance, if the Custom FPS rate is set to 30 FPS. If it's 30fps, please try to set to 60. 

For further analysis, could you also please run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click "Save All Information", then attach the output file (dxdiag.txt) on your next reply.
PS: Attach option should be visible on your side after your second post.

GustSergeant
Registered
(@gustsergeant)

Thank you for the response,

I have attached my screenshot for your review. As you can see, it is at 30Hz.

However, I didn't know there was a setting for the FPS, which was set at 30FPS, so I moved it to 60FPS. I don't mind that SpaceDesk can't do 120Hz just yet, as my main monitor is only 60Hz. 

The other thing I am noticing is the amount of processing power this seems to be sucking out of my GPU. It ranges between 50%-85% GPU utilization with just basc web browsing. Is this normal, and if so, is there anything I can do to reduce the impact it is having on my GPU? For the record, it is a 5700XT, so it is plenty powerful for most applications.

GustSergeant
Registered
(@gustsergeant)

Thank you for the response,

I have attached my screenshot for your review. As you can see, it is at 30Hz.

However, I didn't know there was a setting for the FPS, which was set at 30FPS, so I moved it to 60FPS. I don't mind that SpaceDesk can't do 120Hz just yet, as my main monitor is only 60Hz. 

The other thing I am noticing is the amount of processing power this seems to be sucking out of my GPU. It ranges between 50%-85% GPU utilization with just basc web browsing. Is this normal, and if so, is there anything I can do to reduce the impact it is having on my GPU? For the record, it is a 5700XT, so it is plenty powerful for most applications.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @gustsergeant,
Could you please try to run services.msc find spacedeskService and restart it.
Then reconnect your viewer app with 60FPS in the settings, then check the display again if it will become 60Hz.

As for the high GPU usage, is 50%-85% usage only happening if spacedesk is connected and when there's only screen update on the spacedesk display?
Maybe you have other apps on your main monitor that also consumes your GPU?
Maybe try to close other apps (temporarily) on your primary machine and just do a simple web browsing on the spacedesk display then check if GPU usage is still high?

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum