Notifications
Clear all

Leaving Fullscreen when pressing alt+tab  

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi,

I have the problem, that when I'm leaving some games with alt+tab the viewer app on my laptop changes to window mode instead of staying in fullscreen mode. But it's not in every game, so I'm confused. Have I done something wrong or is it a known bug? I hope someone can help me.

Best regards

Tobi

Topic Tags
13 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,
Is your spacedesk Windows viewer app from Microsoft Store (UWP version)?
Or is it the Windows 7 viewer app (desktop version)?

Posted by: @tobi

I'm leaving some games with alt+tab the viewer app on my laptop changes to window mode instead of staying in fullscreen mode.

Does the game and viewer app (fullscreen mode) running on the same laptop machine?

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi Lea,

Thanks for your reply.

My Windows viewer App is the Desktop Version.

For your second question. I'm gaming at my PC, that is my primary machine. And the the viewer App is running on my laptop. But when I press alt+Tab on my PC the viewer App on my Laptop leaves fullscreen Mode. 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,

Posted by: @tobi

But when I press alt+Tab on my PC the viewer App on my Laptop leaves fullscreen Mode. 

Did you use the actual/physical keyboard on your primary machine to press the Alt+Tab? Or Is it from Remote Keyboard input from the fullscreen Viewer app on your laptop?

Are you sure it's Alt+Tab? not Alt+Shift?

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi Lea, 

Yes I press alt+tab on my physical keyboard on my PC and yes I'm shure that I press alt+tab and Not alt+shift.

But I have another maybe helpful Information. My PC and my Laptop don't have the same resolution. Maybe it has something to do with it, because my games are running on fullscreen. But I don't know. 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,
Ok, thanks for the info.

We have tried to reproduce it on our side but so far it's not successful.
Is it only happening if there's a game running on your primary machine?
Can you tell us the game?

Is your secondary machine/laptop Windows 10 too?
If yes, can you also try with Windows Viewer app from Microsoft Store?
Then check if the issue is also happening.

Another thing: can you quickly try to reproduce the issue while the remote functionality on the viewer settings (uncheck remote Keyboard, set to Mouse local (use as touch), touch off) are disabled.
Then check if the same issue persist.

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi lea,

I just installed the viewer app from the microsoft store and it works better. It still leaves the fullscreen mode for a second but it instantly jumps back to fullscreen mode.
It's not the cleanest solution but it works for me.

If you still want to reconstruct it and try to solve it on the desktop app I will answer your questions.

It's happening for example with the game "euro truck simulator 2" and "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege".
Yes my secondary machine is also windows 10.
And I set the viewer settings as you said but it still happens.

Thank you very much and if you still want to know more just write it here.

Tobi

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,

Thank you very much for your input.
Could it be that the viewer is disconnected upon fullscreen mode exit?
Is the auto-reconnect settings in the viewer enabled?
If yes, can you quickly try to disable the auto-reconnect then reproduce again the issue and check if the viewer will disconnect during the "alt+tab" event on your primary machine.

Can you also try to download and run the DebugView app here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview
Then run the Dbgview.exe app (as administrator) on your Windows 10 secondary machine, make sure to check the Capture -> Capture Win32 and Capture Global Win32, then run the viewer app, you should find some SA[xxx:xxx] traces in debug view screen.
While debug view is running, please try to reproduce again the issue then send us the debug view logs.

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi Lea,

Yes the viewer app says for a second, that it is disconnected.
In the desktop version I have the auto-reconnect setting disabled, and in the microsoft store version it's enabled.
But whatever the settings are set to, it's always the same.

I attached the debug view logs to this comment.
Just as an inforamtion: I've reproduced the issue 2 times in a row.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,
Thanks for sending the logs.
It seems the problem is due to temporary server disconnection that's why the viewer is exiting from full screen mode.
The disconnection (from server side) was triggered upon pressing the "Alt+Tab".
To further analyze this issue, we would like to request for the spacedesk server/driver debug logs on your primary machine.
Please download the spacedesk diagnostic script here, then extract it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilm5em35h0ygsfm/2020_spacedeskDiagnosticTool.zip?dl=0

Inside you will find spacedeskDiagnosticTool.cmd, just right-click it then run as administrator on your primary machine.
This script will start a debug view app to capture spacedesk debug traces.
On step 5 it will prompt you to reproduce the issue by connecting the viewer app (with auto-reconnect disabled) and try again the Alt+Tab on your primary machine, make sure to do this before pressing any key to continue.
After the script is done, a folder will be created on the same folder as the script file which contains various log files that we need for analysis.
Please right-click it -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi Lea,

I don't know what you mean with "a folder will be created on the same folder as the script file which contains various log files", because I only got one DebugView.log. Maybe I've done something wrong or it is what you meant. However it's attached to this comment.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,
Thanks for sending the debug view log file.
Is there any other files generated after running the cmd file?
E.g. spacedeskIddCxDriver.etl file

Based on the logs, it seems that the "Alt+Tab" triggers a TDR (Timeout detection and recovery) on your primary machine's GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER driver and this causes the spacedesk to disconnect momentarily.

tobi
 tobi
Registered
(@tobi)

Hi Lea,

I haven't found any other files than the one i sent you.

Good to know that the problem is a TDR, but is there any way to fix it?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tobi,
We don't know for sure if it's a spacedesk problem since it's only reacting to the TDR event of your GPU.
Maybe you can also check the graphics settings (or other settings) on that game?
You mentioned that this only happens on some selected games, so maybe try to play around with the settings of the game.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum