Share:
Notifications
Clear all

LAN Cable connection - random disconnects  

balint
Registered
(@balint)

Hi, 
I love the connection via the cable (2 Win 10 laptops). It's fast and a good fit for my work. 
But sometimes it drops the connection and not sure why. I thought the cable could be the issue, I changed it now to a new cable, still after 15 minutes it drops me off. Actually, it just dropped me when I got to this sentence so at least I have a screenshot. 

The cable didn't move, nothing moved on the table, I type on a bluetooth keyboard so not even touching any of the laptops. 

<div class="JAPzS" data-text=" removed link " data-tooltip-position="bottom" data-tooltip-vertical-offset="0" data-tooltip-horizontal-offset="0" data-tooltip-only-if-necessary="true"> removed link

It's usually at that time but sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes it keeps on going for hours... 

Once it's disconnected, I need to exit the spacedesk window as otherwise it won't reconnect. 
Sometimes it gives me Connected - Display OFF message after restart and nothing happens. 

Is there anything you can do to improve this? Even an automatic switch to wifi connection could help but that's very subpair compared to cable, so ideally it wouldn't disconnect. 
Thanks!

Topic Tags
9 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @balint,
Is auto-reconnect on spacedesk Viewer app settings enabled?

justarandomname
Registered
(@justarandomname)

I have a similar problem but not exactly the same.

I have one Android tablet connecting to a Windows laptop via Wifi. Auto-reconnect is enabled in Viewer app.

However when it disconnects, the Viewer doesn't know it's disconnected, it just hangs on a still screen. But from windows, the screen is gone. Then I have to return to the main screen on the Viewer and reconnect.

The wifi connection is very stable and I have tested with Wifi hotspot on the tablet as well which is a wired connection. Same issue. It happens very randomly, sometimes works fine for days but sometimes disconnects in a few minutes.

I tried uninstalling things like ClickShare or any other VPN software. Nothing changes.

I tried to disable power management for the wifi adaptor so the computer doesn't turn it off for power saving.

The laptop is set to never sleep.

It's an HP laptop and has Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630.

Is there a way to see what errors have been produced in Windows and the Viewer side?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
This scenario usually happens when there's a sudden short network drop/loss especially with wireless network.
You can verify it, just connect the spacedesk viewer over the wifi then try to turn off the wifi on your primary machine side, you will observed the same issue - viewer still thinks that it's connected but the spacedesk server already disconnected it since machine is already disconnected from the network.
You might try a wired connection (probably via USB tethering) and check if the problem still persist.
justarandomname
Registered
(@justarandomname)

Posted by: @spacedesklea
This scenario usually happens when there's a sudden short network drop/loss especially with wireless network.
You can verify it, just connect the spacedesk viewer over the wifi then try to turn off the wifi on your primary machine side, you will observed the same issue - viewer still thinks that it's connected but the spacedesk server already disconnected it since machine is already disconnected from the network.
You might try a wired connection (probably via USB tethering) and check if the problem still persist.

Thanks Spacedesklea. As I mentioned, I have already tested with USB tethered connections and the problem remains. 

I have been testing other similar software with wifi since yesterday, it has higher latency than Spacedesk but it has been very stable, didn't break at all. So even if it's a wifi issue which I doubt, Spacedesk should handle those without requiring manual intervention all the time.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
I see...we will investigate this and will get back to you as soon as we have a new version with potential fix to this issue.
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Hi @justarandomname and @balint,
We just released a new spacedesk Driver version 0.9.41 on our website. https://spacedesk.net
This new driver version includes a potential fix for the unstable connection issue.
Please try it and let us know if the same problem still persist or if it's gone now.
Looking forward to your feedback.
justarandomname
Registered
(@justarandomname)

We just released a new spacedesk Driver version 0.9.41 on our website. removed link
This new driver version includes a potential fix for the unstable connection issue.
Please try it and let us know if the same problem still persist or if it's gone now.

That's great news. Thanks for letting me know. I uninstalled it previously. Will re-install and test. Thanks!

justarandomname
Registered
(@justarandomname)

Posted by: @justarandomname
We just released a new spacedesk Driver version 0.9.41 on our website. removed link

That's great news. Thanks for letting me know. I uninstalled it previously. Will re-install and test. Thanks!

Have used the android app v0.9.56 version and server app 0.9.41 for 2 days and it disconnected twice. Not significantly better than before unfortunately.

I just noticed that there is a new server version 0.9.42 came out. Will test this and update.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @justarandomname,
Thanks for the feedback.
We will continue analyzing and trying to fix this issue. As soon as we have another potential fix for connection issue, we will let you know.
Meanwhile, please try our most recent release v0943 on our website.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum