Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
Laggy display and m...

Laggy display and mouse movement  

Ashy
 Ashy
Registered
(@ashy)

I'm using the Viewer on an Atom x5-8300 machine with Windows 10 32 bit. The display is laggy and mouse movement is very laggy. I suspect this is due to 32 bit OS where copying blocks of memory is slower than on a 64 bit system. Can anyone confirm if they have decent performance on an Atom x5 system with 32 bit Windows? Are there any workarounds to improve the performance, other than reducing screen resolution?

Cheers,

Ashy

Topic Tags
8 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member
Hi @ashy,

There are possible reason for lags.
Are you using wireless network? Is your network stable/reliable?
What is the graphics adapter of your Atom machine?
Could you please run dxdiag.exe on your Atom machine, click "Save all Information" then attach the output file (dxdiag.txt) on your next reply.
Looking forward to your feedback.
Ashy
 Ashy
Registered
(@ashy)

Posted by: @spacedesklea
Hi @ashy,

There are possible reason for lags.
Are you using wireless network? Is your network stable/reliable?
What is the graphics adapter of your Atom machine?
Could you please run dxdiag.exe on your Atom machine, click "Save all Information" then attach the output file (dxdiag.txt) on your next reply.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Hi Lea,

The device is using Intel Cherry Trail's graphics and DX12 is supported, which exceeds the minimum required by SpaceDesk.

Wireless network is absolutely rock solid and I have used Wifi Direct connection and tried using a 802.11ac USB adapter too but the results are the same.

I can achieve reasonable performance by lowering compression settings to around 50% and lowering screen resolution to 1024 x 768 but ideally, I would like to run at the native screen resolution of 1920 x 1200.

I have read that people are using SpaceDesk on Intel Atom based machines but the problem with mine may be due to the use of 32 bit Windows (yes, it's a 64 bit CPU but only a 32 bit UEFI). Of course, 32 bit memory bandwidth will result in much slower memory transfer speeds and I suspect this might be the case but I am not sure, unless you or anyone else can confirm.

I have attached dsdiag.txt as requested.

Thanks,

Ashy

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member
Hi @ashy,
thanks for the info.
Is your primary machine Windows 10? or Windows 7/8.1?
Maybe you can try the following if it can improve the performance.
1. If you have Windows 10 as primary machine, try Mobile Hotspot/WiFi Direct.
Please check the Wifi Direct / Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10 chapter in our user manual.
2. If you have Windows 7/8.1 as primary machine, try Hosted Network Connection.
Please check the Hosted Network on Windows 7 / 8.1 chapter in our user manual.
Ashy
 Ashy
Registered
(@ashy)

Hi @ashy,
thanks for the info.
Is your primary machine Windows 10? or Windows 7 removed link
Maybe you can try the following if it can improve the performance.
1. If you have Windows 10 as primary machine, try Mobile Hotspot/WiFi Direct.
Please check the <a href=" removed link " target="true">Wifi Direct / Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10 chapter in our user manual.
2. If you have Windows 7 removed link as primary machine, try Hosted Network Connection.
Please check the <a href=" removed link " target="true">Hosted Network on Windows 7 / 8.1 chapter in our user manual.

I am using Windows 10 and as I mentioned above, I have tried Wifi Direct. I have also tried using a USB 802.11ac wifi adapter instead of the inbuilt 802.11n adapter. The performance does not improve.

I have used the same 802.11ac USB adapter on a laptop with Intel i3 Kaby Lake CPU and the performance is good. The wifi is not the issue.

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect it's 32 bit memory transfer but I need confirmation.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member

Hi @ashy,
we don't think it's the 32-bit memory transfer.
But maybe you have not enough memory, based on your dxdiag you only have 2GB RAM.
Could you please check on your task manager and monitor your memory usage while spacedesk is connected and screen is updating.

Ashy
 Ashy
Registered
(@ashy)

Hi @ashy,
we don't think it's the 32-bit memory transfer.
But maybe you have not enough memory, based on your dxdiag you only have 2GB RAM.
Could you please check on your task manager and monitor your memory usage while spacedesk is connected and screen is updating.

Memory usage is very high at 80%. CPU usage is low, so looks like hardware acceleration is being used or it's very effieciently coded. The screen update isn't bad, actually. It's the mouse movement that's laggy.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member
Hi @ashy,
Hardware acceleration is not yet available in spacedesk. This is still in our list to be implemented but has low priority at the moment.
Could you please check the spacedeskService.exe in your task manager if it has high memory usage.
Ashy
 Ashy
Registered
(@ashy)

Hi @ashy,
Hardware acceleration is not yet available in spacedesk. This is still in our list to be implemented but has low priority at the moment.
Could you please check the spacedeskService.exe in your task manager if it has high memory usage.

Thanks for the reply. The SpaceDesk service is not consuming much memory but I think I know what the issue is. My Atom machine that is being used as Spacedesk Client uses an internal USB 2 wifi adapter. I have noticed that anything connected to that USB hub has issues with the way the USB is buffering data. My suspicions are based on the findings on another machine which gave exactly the same problems and any wifi or Ethernet adapter connected to that machine's USB suffered with poor performance. However, on the separate machine, there is a separate USB-C port and the wifi adapter connected to the USB-C port resulted in much better performance.

So for now, there isn't anything I can do with badly internal designed USB hub or badly designed USB drivers. I will just persevere with reduced resolutions and higher compression.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2019 spacedesk Support Forum

Please Login or Register