Notifications
Clear all

iPad USB Tethering impossible without SIM  

Knut
 Knut
Registered
(@knut)

Hello,

my iPad does not have a SIM card and consequently, I am not able to use the Cellular > Personal Hotspot feature (menu is not visible) to connect the iPad to my PC via  USB lightning cable.

Unfortunately, in my institution, the PC and iPad are in different networks separated by a firewall. The PC is in the LAN, whereas the iPad is in a WLAN controlled by a different organization. However, as a consequence, direct IP connection (via Ethernet cable or WLAN-to-LAN connection) is not possible. No way.

So I am doomed?

Topic Tags
9 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @knut,
Do you have WiFi adapter on your PC?

Knut
 Knut
Registered
(@knut)

Yes I do have a WiFi adapter on my PC.

It is connected to the same WLAN as the iPad. But it is usually unused since I have an Ethernet cable plugged in.

evangelion_air
Registered
(@evangelion_air)

iPad pro or air 4 has USB-C and can link a hub with RJ45 and drive-free network adapter to realize wired network connection, maybe you can link your pc and iPad like this

Knut
 Knut
Registered
(@knut)

Thank you for your suggestion. My iPad pro has only Lightning port

evangelion_air
Registered
(@evangelion_air)

I forgot to mention that the Lightning port actually has an official Apple accessory for a wired connection: Belkin Ethernet + Power Adapter with Lightning Connector

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @evangelion_air, thanks for suggestion. Yes this is indeed another way to establish a network connection connection between your primary machine and iPad device.

Hi @knut, you might also try WiFi Direct connection too. You can enable a Mobile Hotspot network on your Windows 10 machine in Settings -> Network & Internet -> Mobile Hotspot.
Please check Performance Tuning -> Network Bandwidth -> Wifi Direct / Wifi Hotspot / Wifi Access Point chapter in our user manual https://spacedesk.net/user-manual/.

Knut
 Knut
Registered
(@knut)

Well thanks for the suggestions. The adapter obviously is a possibility. 

With Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10, I was able to establish a connection, but spacedesk then crashed immediately upon start (I had it configured to autoconnect to the LAN IP address of the PC).

However, I would prefer not to pursue this path as changing the Wifi on the iPad is cumbersome and meanwhile I managed to open the firewall. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So after the connection is established, I am perfectly able to add the iPad as a screen to Windows primary PC. But touch is not working at all ;-( using the Apple Pencil

Touch is enabled in the spacedesk settings of the iPad.

This seems to be a different problem though...

Currently, I am Using EasyCanvas, which works, but touch sometimes gives strange results when I draw on PowerPoint. Therefore, I am searching for alternatives.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @knut,

Pen input is not yet supported by spacedesk. This feature is currently being implemented but it will not be available anytime soon.
We will get back to you as soon this feature becomes available.

Though single touchscreen input should work. Is it not working?
Did you enable the videowall mode?
If videowall mode is enabled, touch screen will not work.
You can check it by clicking the "Video Wall Engine" option in spacedesk Server window menu "..." button to open the user interface.

Knut
 Knut
Registered
(@knut)

Thank you Lea,

I can confirm that simple touch input with a finger works.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum