Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
How can I only make...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] How can I only make sure my mobile hotspot isn't being used for anything other than spacedesk?  

notconsoleaim
Registered
(@notconsoleaim)

On my windows primary machine connected to my iPhone XR secondary machine, my pc is using the hotspot connection over my actual ethernet connection which is a lot faster. How can I use spacedesk with my direct usb connection between the 2 machines and my pc with my usual ethernet connection?

Topic Tags
5 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @notconsoleaim,
For clarification: So you want to connect spacedesk over USB tethering between your Windows PC and iPhone XR at the same time connect your Windows PC on your ethernet network for internet, is that right?

notconsoleaim
Registered
(@notconsoleaim)

Exactly. I want to make sure my Windows machine is using the ethernet network while only using the USB tethering for the spacedesk connection.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @notconsoleaim,
This is probably a network adapter priority of your machine and it can be solved by changing the Windows connection priority. Please try the following steps:
1. Connect the USB tethering device on your primary machine
2. then run ncpa.cpl
3. In there you will see the WiFi or Wired adapter (Ethernet) for your LAN connection, right-click -> Properties, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> Advanced
4. Uncheck the "Automatic metric" and set the value to "3", then click OK to finish it.
5. Do the same with another adapter for your USB tethering connection the one with Remote NDIS device, but set the metric value to "5" or something higher.

Please let us know if this works for you.
Looking forward to your feedback.

notconsoleaim
Registered
(@notconsoleaim)

It worked perfectly, thanks a lot! I noticed a bit of latency on my main machine after doing these steps but after a system restart it has now fixed itself. Now that I am connected by a USB cable, would turning up the quality on the 2nd display add any severe latency?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @notconsoleaim,
glad to hear that it worked on your side.

Posted by: @notconsoleaim

Now that I am connected by a USB cable, would turning up the quality on the 2nd display add any severe latency?

It depends now on your machine's specs, if it's powerful enough to handle resources for high quality desktop images for compression (CPU) and rendering (GPU) process then it should be fine.
One way to find out is to try it on your side and observe if there's latency if you increase the quality.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum