FPS keeps dropping ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

FPS keeps dropping despite having plenty of resources available in my system  

Tragoe
Registered
(@tragoe)

I just downloaded spacedesk and it's mostly working as intended except for being super laggy for no reason.

Regardless of what I set the compression settings like FPS Rate to, the FPS on the second monitor will be at that set value for a bit but then drop and wiggle around between 2FPS and 17FPS without any reason.

At 60FPS both my GPU and CPU (host PC) are at around 20ish% and then when the FPS decides to drop to 2FPS, both the cpu and gpu usage drop to almost nothing.

The CPU and GPU values on the PC used as a second monitor are also negligible (so is the RAM for both machines).

The app doesn't use a significant portion of my bandwidth either.

It looks like it's trying to optimise resources or something because when I move my mouse around in the 2nd screen the fps goes back up to 60, but when a youtube video is playing and my mouse is not on screen, the app keeps 'deciding' that I don't need the extra fps and it goes down to the 2-17fps range.

Is there any way to make it stick to the maximum framerate?

5 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tragoe,

For further analysis, could you please send us the following info:
Primary Machine
- operating system (Windows 8.1/10)?
- graphics adapter (AMD/Intel/Nvidia)
- network connection type (wired/wireless/USB tethering/WiFi Direct)

Secondary Machine
- Viewer type (Android/iOS/Windows/HTML5)
- network connection type (wired/wireless/USB tethering/WiFi Direct)

Tragoe
Registered
(@tragoe)

Primary Machine:
- Operating System: Windows 10

- graphics adapter: Nvidia (gtx1650)

- Connection type: Wired

Secondary Machine:

- Windows viewer (downloaded from windows app store)

- connection type: wireless

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tragoe,

One possible reason for slow performance is the connection over WiFi.
Routers can cause lags and latency. Bypassing them always improves performance.

If it's possible on your side, maybe you can try a direct wired connection via crossover ethernet between your primary and secondary machine?
Then you can observe if the performance will improve.

Or another option is by creating a WiFi hotspot on one end and connect to it before connecting to spacedesk. This eliminates the router too.
Please check the Performance Tuning -> Network bandwidth -> Wifi Direct / Wifi Hotspot / Wifi Access Point chapter on how to setup WiFi Hotspot on your primary machine.
https://spacedesk.net/user-manual/

Tragoe
Registered
(@tragoe)

The primary machine has only a single Ethernet port and no wifi so I wouldn't be able to connect them in a different way (without losing internet connection).

As I said in the original post when I have my mouse on the second screen and I'm moving it around quickly it mostly stay around 60fps but if there's nothing moving on the second screen fps goes to 0

After a few days it seems when there's a video on screen it stays at around 15fps, so it still looks like the program is trying to conserve resources rather than being limited by the connection but I can't confirm that as I can't test the setup out with crossover ethernet or hotspot like you suggested

For now the 15fps on the secondary machine seems to be working as I'm usually just leaving something to watch in the background while I'm doing something else on my main screen

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @tragoe,
Did you also try to adjust the compression settings in the viewer app?
By default, the spacedesk UWP Viewer app is set to YUV444, maybe try YUV420?
Then check if it helps.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum