Facebook Like Button

FYI: This old forum site will not be updated anymore. To post a new topic, please click here to register to our new spacedesk Forum site.
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Close/exit button  

kikihun
Registered
(@kikihun)

Can you just add a close/exit button where you can close the app? It's too long to search it in the taskManagger and stop it.

10 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
Are you referring to the spacedeskService?
Can you tell us why do you want to stop it?
hadi
 hadi
Registered
(@hadi)

Posted by: @spacedesklea
Are you referring to the spacedeskService?
Can you tell us why do you want to stop it?

Hey! I just downloaded spacedesk, and it seems to work great on my iPad (Apple Pencil notwithstanding)! I will try it out with both a laptop and an iPad soon, and if all works well then I'll have upgraded to a 4 monitor setup instead of 2, which will be amazing! That said... I don't want or need all the extra monitors all the time, and so I don't like to have the app running in the background when I'm not using it. I couldn't find a way to quit, so I had to use the task manager. Isn't there another way to quit the server app?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @hadi,
For now we don't have a quick close or exit button to immediately stop our service.
But you can manually stop the spacedeskService, just run services.msc, find spacedeskService and stop it.
If you want, you can set the start type to Manual so it will not auto-start upon Windows boot up.
Then just manually start it only when you need it.

hadi
 hadi
Registered
(@hadi)

Posted by: @spacedesklea

Hi @hadi,
For now we don't have a quick close or exit button to immediately stop our service.
But you can manually stop the spacedeskService, just run services.msc, find spacedeskService and stop it.
If you want, you can set the start type to Manual so it will not auto-start upon Windows boot up.
Then just manually start it only when you need it.

Alright. That's fine. You might want to consider adding that, though.

By the way, I tried it out with a laptop and an iPad, and it worked! I have two monitors, it was pretty fun to add two more! It even worked with Display Fusion, Fences and Wallpaper Engine! Though it started to lag when I added a wallpaper on all 4. In any case, this will be very useful when I need to multitask.

ajacob
Registered
(@ajacob)

I'm leaving a comment because I would really appreciate a close button too.

I use spacedesk very occasionally, and not even having a right click option on the tray icon to completely close the service is annoying, because you end up having this tray icon that just stays there and is unclosable.

Going to the task manager / services.msc is definitely not fun to do for regular users. Same goes for the start on boot settings. We miss those two options that, I believe, are necessary for regular users and for the overall user experience.

After not using spacedesk for a long time, I often chose an alternative just to avoid tweaking my settings manually again!

Thanks for your consideration.

kanlukasz
Registered
(@kanlukasz)
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @ajacob and @kanlukasz,
Thanks for all your input. This is noted and we will get back to you as soon as we have news regarding this topic.

spacedesk Marcel
(@marcelruedinger)
Estimable Member

Quite a lot of inquiries about simple start/stop or simple enable/disable functionality for spacedesk.
Unfortunately it is not that simple.
spacedesk contains Device Driver software and software running as a "Windows Service".
This kind of software is not simply started and stopped like simple regular Windows applications.
Device Driver software is installed and uninstalled requiring administrative privileges.
Additional security restrictions might limit users from starting and stopping Windows Services.
Thus if spacedesk did let a user stop the Service, he might never ever be able to restart it any more
(depending on the user privileges on the local machine)... 
One other obvious reason why spacedesk cannot work like a regular Windows application:
spacedesk needs to works with Login Screens when no regular application can even run yet. 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @hadi, @ajacob and @kanlukasz,
We just released a new spacedesk Driver BETA RC version 1.0.1 on our website.
We have now the ON/OFF switch buttons to stop/start the spacedeskService.
This is accessible via spacedesk SERVER window -> Settings or by right-clicking the spacedesk tray icon.
Please try it and lets us know if this works for you.

Sebastian2224
Registered
(@sebastian2224)

Well, ZBar, which works similarly to the MultiMon taskbar. Allows you to have a taskbar at the top or bottom of the screen on all monitors you use. In addition, the program even adds a few rows of <a href=" removed link " target="true">buttons and you can get extra clocks for each monitor if you want. Moving windows to adjacent screens is not a difficult task as you can do it using keyboard shortcuts.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum