Can't connect with ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Can't connect with USB  

Thankyou
Registered
(@thankyou)

I have used spacedesk and it works great over lan but it seems that the app on my tablet can't connect using USB  to my pc even though my computer sees the tablet. 

So how can I connect my pc and tablet without internet connection?

Thank you for your time and help

8 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @thankyou,
While connected via USB tethering,
Does your computer still connected over the LAN while also connected to your tablet via USB tethering?
Is your computer connected to LAN wireless or wired?

Thankyou
Registered
(@thankyou)

yes my pc is connected through lan to my tablet and through USB but it seems that they can not connect using USB.

both my PC and tablet are connect to lan wirelessly 

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @thankyou,
For analysis, can you quickly try to disconnect your wireless LAN on both PC and tablet so it will just be the USB tethering connection, then check if the viewer can discover now your primary machine.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Thankyou
Registered
(@thankyou)

when I do that, the connection ends, I also tried to disconnect the lan only on my PC same result, when I did close the lan on my tablet, same result,

i find the problem weird because i can put files into my tablet from my pc through USB connection while i'm dual monitoring, but neither spacedesk on my pc nor on my tablet can see each other over the USB, I also troubleshooted 

USB tethering on my pc and there was no problem,

thank you so much for your help

fredwck
Registered
(@fredwck)

Hi, I also have a similar problem despite spacedesk documents saying it can connect by USB tethering (and even direct ethernet cable?)

My setup:

WIFI - Android Tablet - USB - Win10 PC - ETHERNET

In this setup: spacedesk app can detect server (possibly via router)

Since my android tablet is not a cellular model, there is no built-in USB-tethering options, there is something in developer mode with USB option "RNDIS (USB Ethernet)" but that gave no meaningful output in the first instance (or I dunno how to get it to work).

I downloaded Tetrd app, which works very well in terms of either normal tether or reverse tether, let me illustrate:

WIFI OFF - Android - USB - Win10 PC - ETHERNET (reverse tether, works!)

WIFI - Android - USB - Win10PC - unplugged (normal tether, works!)

It assigns the device an IPv4 like 10.0.3.190 and server 10.0.3.1 or .2

Works means tablet or PC has internet access.

However, neither of these options can the tablet (running app v0.9.55) detect my Win10 PC (running spacedesk server v0.9.38) even if I manualy enter those IPs. The situation that I really need it to work is :

WIFI OFF - Android - USB - Win10 PC - unplugged

I have also tried this:

WIFI OFF - Android - USB/ethernet adapter - ETHERNET - Win10 PC

I can't even get any connection to establish. It remains as unidentified network on Win10 side with no meaningful IPv4 address.

How does direct cable connection work with spacedesk? What am I missing?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member
What is your primary machine? Is it Windows 10? or Windows 7/8.1?
When you setup your USB tethering connection, could you run "ncpa.cpl" on your primary machine and check if there's a Remote NDIS device adapter created.
Or you can send us the screenshot of your Network Connections window so we can analyze it.
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @fredwck,

Posted by: @fredwck

But still viewer cannot discover your primary machine, correct?
Can you try to ping the IP address from each side to check if both are reachable to each other?
Do you have third-party antivirus with own firewall settings? Or maybe VPN?

I can't even get any connection to establish. It remains as unidentified network on Win10 side with no meaningful IPv4 address.

In this case, I think you have to manually assign the IP address on both sides.
This setup is the same as crossover ethernet connection setup.
Please check this link https://www.techperiod.com/connect-windows-computers-in-lan/

fredwck
Registered
(@fredwck)

Posted by: @spacedesklea

Hi @fredwck,

But still viewer cannot discover your primary machine, correct?
Can you try to ping the IP address from each side to check if both are reachable to each other?
Do you have third-party antivirus with own firewall settings? Or maybe VPN?

In this case, I think you have to manually assign the IP address on both sides.
This setup is the same as crossover ethernet connection setup.
Please check this link removed link

Yes, cannot discover. I have no active VPN on and the third-party antivirus firewall feature is not included. It wouldn't have mattered since spacedesk can discover and connect when my tablet and PC are connected to the router, i.e. WIFI - Android Tablet - ...... - Win10 PC - ETHERNET

Re: direct ethernet cable, yes I understand that. I had to do that for connecting two Win10 PCs together but I can't find how to do that with a USB-to-ethernet adapter on an android tablet without rooting and all that. 

I think this seems way too complicated to get this working with direct cable connections without going for some small portable router or something. Either way I don't think spacedesk kind of apps will be the solution unless you can maybe build some sort of ethernet static IP or USB-tethering support (kinda like what Tetrd did) into the android app.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum