Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
Cannot Detect Prima...

Cannot Detect Primary Machine Over Mobile Hotspot  

Lep19
Registered
(@lep19)

Hello,

I have two computers, both Windows 10 and both using AMD graphics hardware. One is a PC connected through ethernet and hosting a Mobile Hotspot, and the other is a laptop. When I connect to my home network on the laptop (the same network that I'm connected to through ethernet on my PC), spacedesk works fine and is able to detect my PC. However, the performance isn't great because of my poor connection to the WiFi (my room's pretty far from the router), so I figured making a Mobile Hotspot would help with performance. However, once I'm connected to the Hotspot, spacedesk is no longer able to find the primary machine. Or at least, most of the time it can't. Occasionally, immediately after restarting the laptop, it will find my PC under the Hotspot's IP.

In terms of the troubleshooting I've done so far, I looked through the manual, and the only fix I was able to apply to my setup was enabling Network Sharing on the Hotspot, which made no difference. I've tried connecting manually using the little "+" in the viewer, but clicking it makes the viewer window crash. I've tried enabling auto-connect and then restarting in an attempt to capitalize on the aforementioned window of time after the restart, but that has yet to be successful. I've tried the HTML5 viewer, which again works fine over the home network, but when using the Hotspot it comes up with problems. When trying with the PC's IP, it returns an error asking to make sure I've used the right IP, and when using the Hotspot's IP, it starts a connection attempt that doesn't end. 

The Hotspot is able to connect to the internet just fine, and again, Network Sharing has been enabled. The only thing I can think is the "Network Segments" mentioned in the manual, which is something I'm not familiar with. Even then though, it says the devices should still be able to connect manually, so I would think the HTML5 viewer would work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

7 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member
Hi @lep19
Please take note that when you start the Mobile hotspot on one computer, make sure you connect the other computer to this Mobile Hotspot too so that the spacedesk viewer can discover the primary machine's IP address.
Could you please try pinging the IP address of the other computer (vice versa) to check if they can reach each other (do this while both PCs are connected on Mobile Hotspot ).

For the viewer crash,  is your Windows Viewer the latest version (0.9.16) ?
We would like to request for error logs for analysis.
Could you please download and run Dbgview.exe (as administrator) 
and make sure that the Capture tab -> Capture Win32 and Capture Global Win32 are checked.
Then try to run the windows viewer and click the "+" button to reproduce the crash.
On the debugview screen you should find SA [xxxx:xxxx]: ..... traces.

After you reproduce the crash, please save the logs (as .txt) and send it to us by attaching it on your next reply.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Lep19
Registered
(@lep19)

Thank you for the reply. Pinging the devices resulted in a connection time out on both sides. I'm a little confused what you mean regarding connecting to the Hotspot. The PC is hosting, and the laptop is connected. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to connect a device to its own Hotspot (it doesn't show up in the WiFi list, anyways). Perhaps this could be indicative of the problem? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. 

I ran the tool you supplied and have attached the log. I hope it helps.

00000001 0.00000000 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SASettings::SettingsOptionEnableGet SAUtilRegistryValueGet failed!
00000002 0.01211710 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SASettings::SettingsMenuTouchGet SAUtilRegistryValueGet failed!
00000003 0.01222725 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SASettings::MenuAdvancedEnableGet SAUtilRegistryValueGet failed!
00000004 0.05919079 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAUtilWindowsVersionCheck dwMajorVersion: 10 dwMinorVersion: 0
00000005 0.06000828 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAWndCtrlTreeView::SetViewPosition SetViewPos failed! LastError 1400
00000006 0.06102232 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SASettings::MenuAdvancedEnableGet SAUtilRegistryValueGet failed!
00000007 0.08549733 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAWndCtrlTreeView::SetViewPosition SetViewPos failed! LastError 1400
00000008 0.11946096 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SASettings::SettingsOptionEnableGet SAUtilRegistryValueGet failed!
00000009 0.14579882 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAWndCtrlTreeView::Create TreeView_SetImageList failed!
00000010 0.14587441 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAWndCtrlTreeView::Create PrivateLoadImageList failed!
00000011 0.16106223 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAWlanClient::IsConnected PrivateIsConnected (0) failed!
00000012 0.17735046 [7144] SA [7144:3396]:SAWlanClient::IsConnected PrivateIsConnected (0) failed!
00000013 38.30469513 [3936] ERROR FindDefaultInterface:CM_Get_Device_Interface_List_Size failed:0x00000000, InterfaceListSize = 1
00000014 38.30805588 [3936] ERROR SensorOpenByType:Failed to open sensor error:0x0000007E
00000015 38.31069946 [3936] ERROR FindDefaultInterface:CM_Get_Device_Interface_List_Size failed:0x00000000, InterfaceListSize = 1
00000016 38.31701660 [3936] ERROR SensorOpenByType:Failed to open sensor error:0x00000490

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member
Yes, if you started a hotspot network on your primary machine, then you only need to connect the client/secondary machine to that hotspot network.
And if pinging the IP address on both sides failed, then it indicates that they cannot reach each other.
Thank you for sending the error traces, we will analyze it.
Is it always crashing every time you click the "+" button (while connected or not connected to hotspot network)?
Looking forward to your feedback.
Lep19
Registered
(@lep19)

Pressing the "+" makes it crash every time, regardless of network. When I first installed the viewer, I was able to use the "+" a few times with no issues. Then the crashes started, and even after reinstalling it continues to do so.

Is there anything I can do about the pinging? I tried making an ICMPv4 and ICMPv6 firewall rule for both devices, but that didn't seem to help. Again, if I'm connected to the home network, the laptop can find the PC no problem. It's only when I'm on the Hotspot that there's an issue.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member

Hi @lep19,
Are you sure that your secondary machine's wifi is connected to the Mobile Hotspot network of your primary machine?
Have you tried the other way around (setting the Hotspot on your secondary machine  instead of primary machine)?
This time, your primary machine's WiFi will be connected to the Mobile Hotspot Network of your secondary machine.

Lep19
Registered
(@lep19)

When connected to the laptop's Hotspot, the PC's preferred IPv4 changes. Using this new IP, pinging now works on both sides, and, more importantly, using this IP in the HTML5 viewer actually ends up with a successful connection! If the "+" button crash gets fixed, this could be a legitimate solution.

Right now, though, it isn't ideal, and I'd really prefer to have my PC connected to ethernet instead of the laptop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think the internet speed using ethernet is better than the Hotspot (though the fact that the laptop is literally right next to the PC might trivialize the difference).

As an aside, I tried using my phone as the second monitor just as an experiment, and as soon as I connected to the PC's Hotspot, it found it and was able to connect. So I'm nearly positive this is an issue with my laptop.

Thanks for your persistent help and suggestions. Really hoping the "+" thing is fixable!

P.S. I've been trying to make this reply for a good while now, but Wordfence keeps giving me a "403 forbidden" and saying that my trying to reply is considered a potentially dangerous action, so it prevents me from doing so. Might want to look into that, as it happened with my initial post as well.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Noble Member
Hi @lep19,
Thank you for the feedback.
Actually, you can still connect your primary machine to your Ethernet network while your WiFi is connected to your laptop's hotspot network.
We are currently investigating the crash issue upon clicking the "+" button.
Can you quickly try running the windows viewer on your primary machine and click the "+", and check if it will also crash.
Can you also send us dxdiag info of your secondary machine (laptop), just run dxdiag.exe click "save all information", then attach the output file (dxdiag.txt) on your next reply.
We will get back to you on this topic as soon as we have a new version for you to test.

As for the Wordfence, we will check our settings.
Thanks for reporting this issue.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2019 spacedesk Support Forum

Please Login or Register