Facebook Like Button

Welcome Visitor! Please Login or Register
Can Win 10 spacedes...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Can Win 10 spacedesk connect faster to my 36 ipads?  

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Hello, I appreciate all that have helped me so far, especially "spacedesk Lea". I can now use the videowall engine and have all the proper settings along with all 36 ipads connecting to my win 10 spacedesk server. However, I just had a question to see if anyone has ever tried to connect 36 or more devices preferably ipads and see if it is possible to have them connect to the spacedesk server any faster.

After about 20 iPads connect and receive an image, it's pretty slow for the rest to connect. (see pic attached). I have upgraded my spacedesk server from what I had originally to see if that helps but still takes about an 30 min for all 36 ipads to receive an image. I have even upgraded my video card and memory. I thought I would list what I am currently running below in hopes that maybe I am missing something or something could be stronger. Thank you in advance!

Maybe 36 iPads is too many to use at once?

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

My current setup:

Spacedesk Server PC:

• Dell Optiplex9020 Tower
  • Windows 10 64 bit
  • NIVIDIA GEOFORCE RTX 2060
  • Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz
  • Win10 64-bit
  • 32 GB memory
  • 500GB SSD Storage

Spacedesk DRIVER for Primary Machine (Server):

• Driver Beta Version: 0.9.97
  • Connections 36 iPad 2
  • Video Wall Engine set to ON

Video Wall Engine Settings:

• Wall 1 Dimensions 950 x 1800
  • Each iPad 2 resolution is set to the following Dimensions 228 x 200 and then each ipad has its own coordinates see pic attached. 

iPad 2 (Clients)

• iOS version 9.3.5 (this is the highest version of iOS these ipads can support)
  • 16 GB storage
  • 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 chip
  • Wifi Only

Internet connection:

• Speed: 1GB down (work internet)
  • Spacedesk Win 10 server - plugged in via ethernet cable with static IP
  • iPad 2's connected via wifi 
6 Replies
jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Sorry the pics did not originally post due to size. Here are the pics

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @jon4par,

One possible reason for slow performance is the connection over WiFi.
Routers can cause lags and latency. Bypassing them always improves performance.
To significantly improve performance in these scenarios with Routers and WiFi, spacedesk will probably offer h264 hardware encoding soon.
In the meantime, WiFi performance can be improved by creating a WiFi hotspot on one end and connect to it before connecting to spacedesk. This eliminates the router.
Please check the Performance Tuning -> Network bandwidth -> Wifi Direct / Wifi Hotspot / Wifi Access Point chapter on how to setup WiFi Hotspot on your primary machine.
https://spacedesk.net/user-manual/

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Hey Spacedesk Lea,

So I tried to create a local hotspot with a USB wifi adapter (USB 3.0) as I don't have a wifi card currently in my pc but found out Windows 10 limits the amount of device connections to 8. However, after doing some research you can edit windows registry by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\icssvc\Settings. Then within this section, you can add a Dword value named WifiMaxPeers  and then enter the decimal value with how many devices you would like to allow. In this case I chose to enter the decimal value of 36. After making this change and restarting the computer, windows 10 now shows devices 0 of 26 connected within the mobile hotspot system settings on the pc. Unfortunately, even though the registry seems to change the amount of devices it doesn't necessarily allow all 36 iPads to connect to the local hotspot. I could try an internal wifi card instead of a USB but I don't think its going to matter since it seems like a Win 10 limitation. Also, I am not able to try the USB tethering because you can only do that option with iPad's that have the cellular option and these iPads are wifi only. They iPads have to be cellular for the USB tethering because the option to choose USB tethering is within the cellular settings. So if you don't think the mobile hotspot will work with more than 8 connections I guess I will have to wait and see if spacedesk comes out with the h264 hardware encoding?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @jon4par,

Thanks for your detailed input.
spacedesk will support H264 hardware encoding soon.
We actually already have a working prototype of this feature but it's not yet finalized.

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Awesome thank you Lea! I am excited to see that version. Thanks for all the help. 

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum