Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Black screen on client connected via WiFi hotspot  

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

I'm using a Surface notebook as second screen (client) and faced the problem that the screen display was sometimes delayed (for multiple seconds or even minutes). So I searched for tips & tricks and found this:

https://spacedesk.net/de/user-manual/##item_505

So I connected my Surface with the main computer via WiFi Hotspot but now when the client connects with the main computer the screen is just black.

13 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @martin-szugat,
Can you still try to run the spacedesk diagnostic script to analyze the black screen.
Same instruction as before:

Download and extract - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilm5em35h0ygsfm/2020_spacedeskDiagnosticTool.zip?dl=0
Inside you will find spacedeskDiagnosticTool.cmd, just right-click it then run as administrator.
This script will start a debug view app to capture spacedesk debug traces.
On step 5 it will prompt you to reproduce the issue (by connecting the viewer app), make sure to do this before pressing any key to continue.
After the script is done, a folder will be created on the same folder as the script file which contains various log files that we need for analysis.
Please right-click it -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

Thanks Lea for your support. I attached the ZIP file.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @martin-szugat,
Thanks for sending the diagnostic logs.
Could you please try our most recent spacedesk Driver v0984 on our website?
Then check if the problem still persist.
https://forum.spacedesk.ph/community/discussion-board/black-screen-on-client-connected-via-wifi-hotspot/#post-6967

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

Thanks, Lea. I installed the new driver version on the server but it didn't solve the issue. If change back the WiFi connection (from WiFi direct - server as WiFi hotspot ) to the common WiFi network it works fine.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @martin-szugat,
Thanks for quickly trying it.
Could you please try again to run the diagnostic command file together with the latest spacedesk Driver v0985, then try again to reproduce the black screen when connected over wifi hotspot.

Please use this updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8h5llgi8c2ig3g/2021_spacedeskDiagnosticTool.zip?dl=0

By the way, is it plain black screen or is there a "display off" status on the viewer app?

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

It's a plain black screen.

I updated the driver and repeated the test: see attachment. A few seconds after the test completed the screen appeared, but reacted very slow and then the connection went off.

Maybe this has to do with the Wall Engine: when it is turned off, there is no black screen. However, reaction is still very slow. And my intention was too speed up using the WiFi hotspot.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @martin-szugat,
Thanks for sending the new diagnostic logs.
I see.. so black screen is only happening with WiFi Hotspot connected and with Videowall mode enabled?
And the black screen is only due to delayed screen update and will eventually update after a while?

This is strange behavior. With WiFi Hotspot, connection should be faster since it's bypassing the router.

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

Hi Lea,

yes, that is odd:

Posted by: @spacedesklea

I see.. so black screen is only happening with WiFi Hotspot connected and with Videowall mode enabled?
And the black screen is only due to delayed screen update and will eventually update after a while?

Both correct. Also connection is not stable: after a few seconds / minutes it breaks.

Martin

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @martin-szugat,
On which machine did you configure the WiFi Hotspot?
Can you maybe quickly try to configure it on the other machine?
Or did you already try this on both machines?

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

On which machine did you configure the WiFi Hotspot?

On the server and client (with the second display) connects to the WiFi hotspot by the server.

Or did you already try this on both machines?

No, because on the server all the bandwidth consuming applications are running (e.g. Teams video call).

Can you maybe quickly try to configure it on the other machine?

Same problem: black screen for a few seconds, then very slow reaction on the display.

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @martin-szugat,
Can you compare the network speed of your regular wifi network and hotspot network?
On your primary machine, run "ncpa.cpl" then check the network adapter for Wireless network first, just right-click -> Status, the do the same on the adapter of your Hotspost (Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter).

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

Thanks for still supporting me!

So, primary machine on WiFi network: 866 MBit/s

Secondary machine on WiFi network: 144 MBit/s (?!) - it's running on the same WiFi network as the primary machine but uses protocol Wi-Fi 4 instead of 5 and frequency 2,4 GHz instead of 5 GHz. That could be the issue in the first place.

Secondary machine on WiFi hotspot: 780 MBit/s - despite the fast connection (Wi-Fi 5, 5 GHz) there is a significant delay e.g. when I move the mouse to the virtual screen.

martin.szugat
Registered
(@martin-szugat)
Eminent Member

I fixed the issue with the Wi-Fi 4 / 2.4 GHz. Now the secondary machine uses Wi-Fi 5 / 5 GHz on the Wi-Fi network. Let's see if this fixes the connections problems!

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum