Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Android box improve video performance  

paulofloresjunior
Registered
(@paulofloresjunior)

Hi, 

My setup is Android box with S905X3 Armlogic CPU Quad ARM Cortex-A55 @ 1900MHz, with gigabit ethernet connected in gigabit switch, running Android 9.

In the testing I'm seeing a lot of stuttering (frames drops) in the screen connected to Android running at 1920x1080p 60fps.

Using top command using ssh I can see that the maximum CPU usage in Android is 63%, so why the vídeo can not run smothly?

There is any way to get the best performance in Android Box? 

Thanks!

7 Replies
paulofloresjunior
Registered
(@paulofloresjunior)

Hi, anyone? any idea?

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @paulofloresjunior,
Apologies for delayed reply.
Unfortunately, due to lack of resources, there's no way for us to know how to achieve the best performance of spacedesk using android box. We have never tested using an Android box.
But since it's connected on a Gigabit Ethernet, then packet transmission over the network should be good.
Aside from network, there are still other factors that can cause the performance issue e.g. desktop image grabbing using DirectX resources (GPU) and compression process (CPU) on primary machine side.

How many viewer apps are connected to the spacedesk server?
What is your primary machine's operating system and GPU?
Can you also check the GPU and CPU usage on primary machine side too?

paulofloresjunior
Registered
(@paulofloresjunior)

Hi Lea,

Our desktop is Dell XPS 8940 machine with the following configuration: i7-10700, 16GB DDR4-2933 (dual channel), NVidia 1660 Super with 6GB GPU-RAM, the cpu and gpu usage is very low, I tried with only one spacedesk android box connected and I get the same result: stuttering (frames lost).

The problem seems to be something in spacedesk app performance running in Android Box to decode high resolution image, because if I reduce the resolution of external monitor to 640x360 I can get very smothly video using higher LAN traffic. So the ethernet is not the problem.

For Android in general there is any settings (developer settings) we can change to get better performance?

Best regards,

Paulo Flores

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @paulofloresjunior,
Thanks for the info.
Is it a regular spacedesk connection or with videowall mode enabled?

paulofloresjunior
Registered
(@paulofloresjunior)

Hi Léa, 

I was testing in videowall mode, but the behavior is the same with videowall disabled, I just tested now.

paulofloresjunior
Registered
(@paulofloresjunior)

Hi Léa,

The problem really seems to be some settings in Android box, because when I use my mobile (Oneplus 6T) I get better results but in this case the limitation or strangulation is the mobile wifi conection (400Mbps).

Any idea?

Thanks

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @paulofloresjunior,
maybe it's the network adapter of the android box?

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum