36 iPad video wall ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

36 iPad video wall and windows 10  

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Current test server setup - Dell Latitude 7410 Laptop (Intel Core i5) 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM, Win 10 (64), Wireless. Spacedesk Driver version 0.9.94

Client devices - 36 iPad 2's all running iOS 9.3.5

My Goal - To run all 36 ipads as a video wall either showing 1 full image or video across all iPads. 

When the ipads are connected to spacedesk, their displays are defaulted to landscape. I found that you can change them all to portrait within the PC display settings but if I ever need to turn off spacedesk or something goes wrong and the iPads disconnect, you have to start the portrait setup all over again. Is there a way that spacedesk / windows 10 could remember the previous display settings? I tried using the video wall engine and was hoping the rotation angle for each ipad would help with this issue but it doesn't seem to rotate the display in full. For example if I have the iPads currently showing their display's in landscape, I enter 90 degrees and you would thing the entire landscape display would turn into portrait but just a black ipad screen is displayed. The rotation angle box is working as I type in lower degree numbers and I see it move accordingly but this seems to be more for when you need to slightly rotate the display instead of in full.

I have also found that when I already have my ipads connected to spacedesk but then I open the video wall engine, the ipads will disconnect no matter how many ipads I use in the group. However, the way around this seems to be that I need to have the ipads disconnected from spacedesk first and then turn on the video wall engine. Once the engine is on I can connect the ipads to spacedesk and the ipads will stay connected just fine.

If any one can let me know if there is anything I can do or if I am doing something wrong or maybe its because some of my issues are because I am using a weak testing setup. 

Thanks.

6 Replies
spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @jon4par,

Posted by: @jon4par

I enter 90 degrees and you would thing the entire landscape display would turn into portrait but just a black ipad screen is displayed. The rotation angle box is working as I type in lower degree numbers and I see it move accordingly but this seems to be more for when you need to slightly rotate the display instead of in full.

If you want to rotate spacedesk display on a videowall mode, you can do this via videowall engine window.
You are correct to rotate it by 90 degrees but you also have to set the correct X and Y coordinates/offsets.
please check the attached screenshot, it's a sample setting to rotate the display in portrait on videowall mode.

Posted by: @jon4par

I have also found that when I already have my ipads connected to spacedesk but then I open the video wall engine, the ipads will disconnect no matter how many ipads I use in the group. However, the way around this seems to be that I need to have the ipads disconnected from spacedesk first and then turn on the video wall engine.

Yes, that's correct.
The display will have to disconnect in order to switch to videowall mode, we designed it that way.
In this case, you can enable the auto-reconnect in the viewer app settings so it will auto-reconnect upon switching to videowall.

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Thank you so much for the reply Lea. I think I understand what you are saying but I wasn't able to find the attached screenshot that you mentioned.  

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

sorry I forgot to attach it, here it is..

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

No problem. Thanks to your screen shot I was able to correct the issue I was having and now understand how the dimensions and x/y settings work. Now the only issue I am having is that when I open the spacedesk app on all 36 ipad the server (ip address) of the spacedesk server appears just fine in the servers list. However, once I actually click the server IP link in the list to connect the ipads, usually after around 14 ipads the rest of the 36 I try to connect take a while to connect or sometimes do not connect at all. Does any one think its my spacedesk server computer that is to weak? According to the system requirements all should be ok or is it the amount of ipads (client connections) I have. Let me know because I can try and find/borrow a different PC with more specs or at least a better video card?

Current test PC Spacedesk server:

Dell Latitude 7410 - INtel core i5 1.7 GHz, 8GB of Mem, Intel UHD Graphics

Have tried both wifi connection and ethernet 

Spacedesk server software version 

Client ipads

iPad 2's running the highest iOS possible which is 9.3.5

Spacedesk app version 1.0.39

spacedesk Lea
(@spacedesklea)
Illustrious Member

Hi @jon4par,

When you connect up to 14 iPads, are they still in extension mode?
If yes, then maybe your Intel GPU can only manage up to 14 display.
Then you have to assign the first 14 displays first to a videowall (Wall Index) then after that you can probably continue to connect the next iPads..

jon4par
Registered
(@jon4par)

Yes, I have all 36 ipads in the same wall index "wall 1" so maybe I should try a different (stronger) PC and see if the same thing happens after 14 ipads are connected. 

Thanks.

spacedesk forum footer

Copyright © 2020 spacedesk Support Forum